• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Econo Van serpentine...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Can somebody tell me if the EFI 5.8ltr. van serp will work? My plan is to get everything from the block forward. I need a 28oz balancer for my 302. Will the 5.8 timing chain cover work? I have no smog pump, no AC., no mech. fuel pump. Hoping the fan to radiator clearance will be OK. 2" right now. I've been researching and seem to find the only thing about the van is the Saginaw pump w/bracket.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I don't know for sure but I would suspect it would work just fine. The only issue I have heard of, is that some of the PS brackets interfere with the crossmember or frame.

Ben

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I cant say if it will work or not, if you want to put it on a 302/5.0 . But if it don't work I will trade you I have 5.0 van dress on my 5.0 but soon will be up grading to a 5.8 al in all I think it will work.

Brian

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I cant say if it will work or not, if you want to put it on a 302/5.0 . But if it don't work I will trade you I have 5.0 van dress on my 5.0 but soon will be up grading to a 5.8 al in all I think it will work.

Brian

Do you have room for a mech. fan, or do you run an elect. puller? I'm concerned with steering box and radiator clearance.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO

Brian

The 5.0 & 5.8 88-92 Van serpentine alt and PS/AC brackets are the same. There's no difference in the brackets for those 2 engines.

I imagine all the van stuff would work for a serpentine conversion. I have the timing cover, water pump and main pulley from a 93 Bronco, Alt & Tensioner from a 92 F150 and a 88-92 Van bracket for the PS/AC. The van PS/AC bracket fits a Saginaw PS pump. On a 5.8l you will have to clearance some of the PS/AC bracket to clear a stock PS box (about 1/2"). On a 5.0 it should clear. I had both brackets off of a van and didn't use the ALT/Tensioner/Smog Pump bracket, because it used a 3g alt with three vertical mounting holes and my alt had the older 2 horizontal mounting holes. I'm sure it would work if you wanted to use the newer 3g style alt.

I can't see how a clutch fan would fit, but I have a Derale fixed blade fan that works well and have about 1" between the fan and radiator

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Do you have room for a mech. fan, or do you run an elect. puller? I'm concerned with steering box and radiator clearance.

I have no steering box issues
I can't see how a clutch fan would fit, but I have a Derale fixed blade fan that works well and have about 1" between the fan and radiator

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
The 5.0 & 5.8 88-92 Van serpentine alt and PS/AC brackets are the same. There's no difference in the brackets for those 2 engines.

That is what I thought but how do you tie the power steering to the water pump or do you not?. My 5.0 bracket ties into the water pump.

Brian

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thanks Brian, and COBlu77,
I wasn't looking for a clutch fan, just a fixed one any way. The explorer front seems a better choice, but the availability is slim and expensive. Also no Saginaw pump. I have a line on 2-3 vans at the local picpart.
Thanks again,
Mark

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
between the vans and the full size trucks the only difference is the van has the sag pump and as mentioned the brackets are the same. there is two different mounting holes that allow it to be mounted to the 5.0 or 5.8 engine. The brackets mout to the water pump and head. the water pump has bolts the bolt the water pump down and have threads sticking outward for the bracket to mount to. If you grab the bracket grab the mounting hardware as well.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Thanks Brian, and COBlu77,
I wasn't looking for a clutch fan, just a fixed one any way. The explorer front seems a better choice, but the availability is slim and expensive. Also no Saginaw pump. I have a line on 2-3 vans at the local picpart.
Thanks again,
Mark

That's why I ended up with a mix. I wanted to use a Saginaw PS pump and I have yet to see a V8 Explorer/Mountaineer at my local pick-n-pulls. My upper radiator hose is a little funky, because I still have a stock style radiator, but the truck & van stuff worked so well and was so cheap, I can't figure out the fuss over Explorer stuff, just to be able to run a clutch fan.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
One more thing, that ought to get me flamed. Unless you have a high amp alternator, the trouble and expense to go to serpentine is questionable at best. Yes I did it, that's why I now question it, but I would not do it again.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
, the trouble and expense to go to serpentine is questionable at best. Yes I did it, that's why I now question it, but I would not do it again.

I can tell you why in two words

Belt Squeal

But that is my .02

Brian

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
Van Serp set up
Very little grinding to fit the PS pump bracket.

Attachments

• 01b.JPG
    01b.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 01b12.JPG
    01b12.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 01b123d.JPG
    01b123d.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 01b12b.JPG
    01b12b.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 48

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
The motor is from an 89 F250 5.8 and the serp set up came off a 5.8 van. Forgot what year but they are all pretty much the same.

Thanks I have a Van Serp set up on my 5.0 going to a 5.8 was going to try it first. But a friend wants my 5.0 when I pull it out so I am kind of looking for one more.

Thank You

Brian