• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheel Sizes

Davesbronco

Loc.
Adairsville, GA
Has anyone tried any large wheel sizes? Like maybe 16" and up rim size? How did it work? What snags did you hit and whats the biggest size you've seen used? I have 4" lift on my '75 and am just wondering what I can get away with. Thanks.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I am running 35"X12.5" on 17"X10" rims. The 17s clear the front knuckles so much better than the 15s. The 17s also allow for a reasonable tire price. I thought about going to 18s, but then the price for the tires increased by about $100.00 per tire. I think the 17s are perfect for a multi-purpose truck with 33 or 35" tires. I would go 18" rims with 37s or larger.

Chris B.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Thinkin bout some 17x9 in a 33 for mine with 2.5 and a 2" body and cut fenders...will be forever after completeion a street truck(for a long time anyway)

OP
OP
Davesbronco

Davesbronco

Loc.
Adairsville, GA
What about tire tread widths? Did any of you have trouble with your tires bumping the radius arms? It sounds like 17" is the way to go on the rim, but the tread width could be trouble in tight turns maybe. I just don't want to spend a fortune on something thats a problem.

cesco

running 13.50's and yes they hit the radius arms...(got to love that thumping noise coming out from under the fender) but so did the 33" on 15" wheels.. i think that wheel size is up to you, what ever you want.. i went with 17" because of plans to go to a d60 in the front and will need the larger wheels to clear the brakes..

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I have 16.5" x 9.75" Centerline wheels running 33 X 12.5" BFG Tires ... an exact 2:1 ratio ... maximizing the "wheel look" while maintaining a decent level of sidewall.

My philosophy is to maintain a (minimum) 2:1 Tire Diameter to Wheel Diameter. In my opinion, anything less than this ratio gets into the "bling" category and is no longer a real truck.

On clearance, my wheels have a 4.25" backspace and are right on the hairy edge of rubbing the radius arms on full-lock. Also, I have a 2.5" suspension lift, and a 1" body lift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davesbronco

Davesbronco

Loc.
Adairsville, GA
I currently have Q78-15LT Buckshots on it and am not sure about the back spacing of the rims. (They came on it). But I sure do like The Dick Cepek DC-1 wheels and mud country tires. I looked and found the Q78-15LT outside diameter is 35.5" and I want to stay close to that O.D. if I can because filling up that wheel well is a big thing to me for some unknown reason. I think I can get the Mud country in a 35x12.50x17. Which will work I hope.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can't say I'm a big fan of 17's on anything less than a 37" tire, so that's what I plan on running. It maintains a similar sidewall profile as a 35" tire on a 15" wheel which is just about right to my eye. Wheel size has very little to do with hitting the radius arm...that's a function of wheel backspacing, tire diameter and steering radius.

Last edited:

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I find it interesting that most of the discussions on tire fitment do not include ALL of the parameters pertinent to the question. Please include wheel width and backspace ... otherwise any information is worthless to the original question.