• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Simple question...how do you remove the drive shaft?

Dave_in_Texas

Loc.
Denton, TX
Guys-

This is an easy one, but I tried searching and didn't come up with anything, so I gotta ask...how do you remove the rear drive shaft from the t-case?

Thanks,

Dave

NYLES

Bronco Guru
unbolt it! 4 bolts the yoke stays on the case same as the other end but this end is straight bolts and tabs instead of u bolts and nuts.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Remove bolts from U-Joint straps at both ends, pull it right on out.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
Did you mark the shaft and the pinion so you know where to put it back on. They have those little square pieces welded to the sides of the shaft for a reason, balance. If you put it 180 out it may vibrate some.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Did you mark the shaft and the pinion so you know where to put it back on. They have those little square pieces welded to the sides of the shaft for a reason, balance. If you put it 180 out it may vibrate some.

I've never seen a driveshaft balanced while on a vehicle before. Could be interesting. ;D

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Guys-how do you remove the rear drive shaft?

How do you remove a driveshaft?

When I was in high school I found a quick way to remove the drive shaft in my Nova (with a 350). Apparently if you rev the engine pretty high in neutral, then slam it into drive (for the purpose of spinning your tires) you're drive shaft will pop out!!! (along with the shrapnel from your rear end, a lot of fluid and your dignity (because you're were trying to look cool in front of your girlfriend). :p

JiM

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.

Now your over analyzing, The balance is only when you take the slip yoke apart.