• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

#1 Coils for flex

Pony_Express

Loc.
Street, Maryland
Hello all,
I currently back on the mission of restoring my 74 bronco... First, I plan on doing a suspension make over.. I want to upgrade from 3.5"to 6.5" of lift.. I am currently building a front stinger bumper w/winch (kinda poison syder custom style).

My question is, what are the best 6.5" coils and leaf springs for rock crawlin, 38" TSL's and a winch? Any and all info is greatly appreciated!!!!

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Welcome to the board!
As far as I know, BC broncos is the only one offering 6.5" coils.
Why do you want to go so high?

Go Tac

Loc.
Sparks
I have a set if 6.5 inch springs from BC. I installed them to check ride height in my '73, and I am in the tear-down mode of the rebuild. They have been installed, but never used. Let me know.

G :cool:

gallop2004@charter.net
775-830-7650

OP
OP
P

Pony_Express

Loc.
Street, Maryland
So, should I reconsider the 6.5's and go with 5.5" coils? If so, which comapny offers the best rock crawler?

Running 38's really is not a high priority....just kinda tossin the idea of them around...The coils I am running now, are progressive rate and don't offer much flex.......Thanks for the input!

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
What is your main goal?
Rock crawlin? Having a tall lift? Fitting 38's? Not trimming fenders?
Not all of those goals coinside with each other.
Tell us more about what you want to do with the bronco and we can advise you an the best rout to take. Being realy tall is not necessarily good for rock crawling. You can fit 38's with less lift and more trimming, which is better for keeping the center of gravity low.
Are you still running stock axles? If so, once you go over 3.5" of suspension lift, other $$$ issues arise......

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Just my .02, but I'm with bronko69er. Currently have 5.5 and 37's (not running yet) and feel that I'm to high. The 3.5's stretch plenty, especially if you make some other upgrades like a WAH. Cut it out of the body and keep your COG as low as possible. If you're just wanting a monster truck to cruise down the street, disregard everything I said, but try not to tip over pulling into the mall.. ;D Just kiddin.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
My vote is for BC's;D great flex just make sure you get the shocks valved for them. 14"#7100 SBRR's are a great shock with these springs.

Cary

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
My 5.5" BC's are reasonably flexy. You could probably get ones with more flex but this is a ballancing act between flex and street drivability. Coils are reasonably cheap, pick up a set and givem a try.

As for the height of the lift. I always laugh at the short people as I drive over them ;)

Dan

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
BTW, If you are looking for front end flex you need to look at allot of ther things befor the coils become the limiting factor. WAH, long arms, wristed arms, rubber vs poly C bushings, radius arm bushing, turning knuckles...... Then the springs become the primary limiting factor.

Dan

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
The BEST coils are these kind :)

saw-50000-112-coilover.jpg

When I had coils, I run WH and BC. I really like the BC coils, they held up alot better and rode better on the road. The flex was about that same between the two. Like has been mentioned, there are ALOT of other factors involved. I have seen Rancho coils flex pretty good when set up with a wristed arm, good bushings shocks that travel....

crawln68

Bronco Guru
The BEST coils are these kind :)

saw-50000-112-coilover.jpg

When I had coils, I run WH and BC. I really like the BC coils, they held up alot better and rode better on the road. The flex was about that same between the two. Like has been mentioned, there are ALOT of other factors involved. I have seen Rancho coils flex pretty good when set up with a wristed arm, good bushings shocks that travel....

X2!!! That's what I was going to say. LOL.

bell55

Loc.
Ventura, CA
Best coils?????

What do you think the best lift kits are? WH/Toms/Jeffs? I'm really looking at the deavers any thoughts?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
What do you think the best lift kits are? WH/Toms/Jeffs? I'm really looking at the deavers any thoughts?

from what I've seen on here either BC or cage. I run the BC stuff and really like it, but there are alot of cage fans also. I'm not sure if it's true any more but jeffs deaver stuff may come from BC if it saves on shipping.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
JBG sells Deaver coils as there Superflex line. Like mine, good flex, great ride and handling. They are a single rate spring. BCB supposedly offers a nice coil, but they arent Deaver...Chuck keeps it a secret who makes them for him. You can read my specs, but I could easily run 37"s and have room to stuff. 38"s would work too I am sure. Right now I am happy with the 35"s, plenty tall...and its not tippy at all.