• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost-chevy style

79driver

I know this question and variations of it have been asked a hundred times, but i never did find the answers i was looking for. I have heard TOFIC and others refer to the "70's GM diesels" with hydroboost and they said it was a really easy, almost "bolt on" swap. I may have a line on one, but I'm not 100% sure yet. If so, i have a few questions
What master cylinder to use with this booster?
Will it clear my 351 with 1 inch body lift?
What mods are required?
What year pickups were these on?

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I used one off a 2000 chebby diesel. Had to get custom hoses going from metric to standard. Pretty much bolted in, no clearance issues, but I've got a 3" bl and a 302. would still have clearance with a 351. With a 1" bl and 351, you'll probably need the angled bracket/bell crank arrangement for a fit or clock the hb unit to clear your valve covers. For the mc, I just kept the chebby mc that was already on my hb and used adaptors to get from the metric ports to my brake lines (had external - outboard ports). I did have to tweak the firewall mounting bracket, a little, but was able to keep the chebby pedal rod. Overall, it was a pretty cheap and easy mod and it stops on a dime with 36s".

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
If so, i have a few questions
Good, questions are good for the knowledge base (the brain)
What master cylinder to use with this booster?
If you have a disc/drum Bronco use the chevy master on the hydroboost. That way you do not have to play with some adjustments. If you dont have the MC with the booster, use the Bronco master.
Will it clear my 351 with 1 inch body lift?
I have my doubts, it may, but not likely
What mods are required?
Moving the hydroboost if the motor is in the way is the only one I can see oh and the new saginaw power steering pump
What year pickups were these on?
Last one I got was on a 75 camper special with a diesel option. Most if not all the 70's era chebby diesels had the hydroboost option that you really want. No screwing around with adapters and you can use brake line for lines to feed the hydroboost. Also cheaper that way. My first hydroboost install cost me 60 bucks. So get out there and dig.

Free hint, the Cadillac booster of the same years (70's) are the same and come with angled mounting plates that may clear your mountain motor
TOFIC

OP
OP
79driver

79driver

Thanks for the help guys. I went and looked at the truck today. It turns out its not a 70 something, but an 86 or 87. And it is also one of those rare half tons with the diesel, but it does have hydroboost. The question is is this booster the same as the 70's 1 ton unit or is it diffferent.? And is it still worth getting?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Thanks for the help guys. I went and looked at the truck today. It turns out its not a 70 something, but an 86 or 87. And it is also one of those rare half tons with the diesel, but it does have hydroboost. The question is is this booster the same as the 70's 1 ton unit or is it diffferent.? And is it still worth getting?

It very well could be. The one I got from a 89 chevy one ton looked the same and the fittings were the same as the lincoln unit. ( I pooched this one by boosting the pump pressure and volume and seriously damaged this unit when it let go)

If its cheap, try it, it will work I do know that.

TOFIC