• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front wider than rear?

bigjhoov

nobody
I got my 31 spline 9" built and installed finally. I've now noticed and confirmed via measuring that the front is 1 1/2" wider than the rear. Anyone else have this issue?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
76-77 Broncos are roughly 2.00" wider in the front. Later model Fords, Chevy's and Dodges are up to 3" wider front to rear.

It has to do with Ackerman angle and turning radius. I wouldn't worry about it. With that said, Ackerman angle is not really that important on something with a lot of tire sidewall and on something that does not handle very well.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
I believe that is correct, the front is wider than the back. Its a ford thing and has a name but I forgot what it is called. It may be called tru track but I'm not for sure.

backpain

Bronco Guru
I have never measured, but my stock-axled front looks wider than my stock-axled rear - the range of about 1.5+". So, it's common and now I am never going to worry about it again. This is good.