• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doved Front End questions

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
first off, i really did search, here, pirate, and several other forums. i found a good bit of info and a lot of my questions answered but i still have a few!

I am working on my 72 (again) and need some advice as well as share my current project. i love the look of the doved front end as well as the extra clearance it will provide. also, this will allow me to extend my full roll cage on the front to help protect and strengthen the front frame section. I really want to keep the bronco look and will be putting the fenders back on in some fashion. this is where my questions come in. for those who have experience with this same project, lend some advice if possible, thanks!

how would you suggest cutting the hood to fit the narrowed front? would you just cut down the middle, mount he hood and keep trimming until the you reach the desired fit? or would you measure and mark off exactly what needs to be trimmed and then cut twice and weld the 2 halves back together?

ok next, i dont know how to get around the firewall issue. i'd rather not have to cut part of the firewall out if possible BUT if need be i can trim and weld back together. i dont know if i would be just as good leaving the firewall in tact and just bend the fenders enough to get around or trying to reconstruct the fenders and firewall.

can anyone provide any directions or even some in depth opinions!?

BTW... excuse the ghetto winch mount, i will be building a much nicer looking winch mount, however that has served its purpose well!

here are some pics of where i stand now...
DSCN0324.JPG

DSCN0318.JPG

Cut Up 75

Loc.
Minturn
What I did was start with the grill. I measured what I wanted out, 4.5" on each side of the FORD letters, so 9" total. I cut the grill section out and welded that back together so I had a way to attach the fenders.

Once that was done I put the grill up against the core support and measured out the same 4.5" on each side of the radiator hole. Then once that was cut/welded back together, I cut the fender supports away from the wheel wells. Next, I cut out pizza slices in the inner wheel wells, again 4.5" from the front of the wells and welded the core support to the wheel wells and fender support. The firewall i didn't really cut, just trimmed the corners about 1/2" on each side. It wasn't much at all.

Then just hung the fenders on the supports and laid the hood on top to get an idea of how to cut the hood. I just cut from each side about 4" on each side the kept measuring and cutting little by little until the hood sat where it should. I really only hangs over the grill about 1". I don't know why, but it's not that noticeable. I know some people have had to section the hood and reweld. I've got a fiberglass hood from High Counrty 4x4 in Denver, maybe it's a different fit than a steel hood.

If you pm me your email address I'll send some pics your way.

This whole project only took me about 5 hrs to get everything back together and I usually have to re-do things numerous times. I'm not very mechanically inclined.... I was able to have a few beers in the afternoon and admire my work! That doesn't usually happen.....;D

OP
OP
Fishmanndotcom

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
Thank you. i appreciate your input!

ok back to the firewall question... when you say you trimmed the corners did you just run a sawzall down the corner and take it out? got any pics of that?

-cutts-

Cut Up 75

Loc.
Minturn
With the firewall i just cut the top corners the rest was either rusted away or didn't need it. It was easier that I really expected. Once you do the grill, you can bolt the fenders to the grill and match it up to the firewall and see what needs to be cut or hammered out of the way.

I'll send you some pics soon.

OP
OP
Fishmanndotcom

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
here are the most recent photos. mind you nothing is final, everything is just tacked and will stay that way until i get done fitting everything together. i already know i am going to need to drop the pass side fender and raise the driver side to level out the hood.

DSCN0328.JPG

DSCN0329.JPG

DSCN0330.JPG

DSCN0331.JPG

DSCN0332.JPG

-cutts-

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I would reccomend converting to the smaller 66/67 turn signal lenses. You can convert your current lenses. It will look A LOT better and is much more proportionate. Do a search for the modicication. It is worth it.