• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plug gapping and Pertronix

Swaayze

Loc.
DFW, TX
Got a hard starting and somewhat poor running 302 (1973). I suspect a carb rebuid is in order but I haven't checked fuel pressure yet and I figured new plugs and points wouldn't hurt regardless. Much to my joy when I pulled the cap I found a Pertronix (coupled with an Accel SuperCoil). My Haynes manual shows the correct gap for a '73 302 to be 0.035, but I pulled one plug to examine and found 0.045 (which, strangely, is the correct gap for the same plug on a '74).

My questions: does the gap change with a Pertronix or were my plugs just gapped incorrectly by whomever installed them? Why would the exact same plug have a significantly different gap target on a '74 (that was still a point distributor wasn't it)?

Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Some 74's had points but the bigger gap is for electronic the same plugs were used until about 77 then they changed to smaller plugs. .045 is correct for electronic ignition and you might be able to open it up .005 -.010 more for some added spark power but you have to really watch it because you can open to far and negate any gain and over work the coil.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I overgapped the plugs when I installed the pertronix igniter and coil in my Bronco. With the more powerful coil you can get away with the bigger gap.

70 sport WA

To clarify responses to the OP, apparently an electronic-type ignition needs a bigger gap than with stock points (.035)?

In other words, the gap needs to be closer to .045?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes the electronic systems can handle the bigger gap. Where points systems cant you end up burning the points up quicker with too large a plug gap