• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I need a new turn signal switch?

mitchel

I recently worked on the radio and flashers when I was done my signal lights, brake lights and reverse lights stopped working. My flashers and my tail lights do work. How can I tell if it is my turn signal switch that needs to be replaced? If it is how do I replace it?

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Check your fuses, and grounds, what work did you do? most likely you changed something (intentionally or not) and it may have shorted or something, i wouldn't jump to a new switch yet, since it is in the column and you didn't work near there.

Grant

OP
OP
M

mitchel

thanks. I checked the fuses eveything there is fine and the Horn works but not the signal lights or brake lights or indicator lights. However the indiccator lights work when the emergency flashers are on. The washer fluid button works which is on the same fuse? I am getting power to my tail lights and parking lights but some where between the switch and the signal light I am losing it same with my brake lights and reverse lights.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
There is a plug with about 8 wires at the base of the column, carefully unplug that (they can be brittle sometimes) and take a multimeter and first check your ground, then start cheking if you have power through that plug. If you do decide to tear into the upper column you push down on the horn and rotate about 1/2 inch to unlock the horn button, then you will need to remove the large nut on the steering wheel and then you will need a puller to get the wheel off with (2) 5/6" fine thread bolts. (puller is available at any auto parts store) from there you can test your connections in the switch itself w/out removing it. May want to check out a wiring diagram too.

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~i6735189/diagrams.htm

OP
OP
M

mitchel

Thanks again this is all new to me I'm not a big electric guru.
If I have power in those 8 plugs does it then mean it is likely the turn signal b/c it is not completing a circut in the column?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Def. sounds like something was either cut or disconnected either intentional or not. Check all the wires in the area you were working in.