• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Royal Purple question

ocsoorlando

Loc.
Orlando
I have read quite a few articles on the Royal Purple products and thought I would give it a try. Well, i went to the good ole parts store and talk about STICKER SHOCK!!!!! It is over twice as much as anyother product. Is this stuff that good to justify the crazy price? Has anyone used it and able to tell any difference??

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
Royal Purple is really good oil, arguably the best. I'm partial to Amsoil myself. I personally would not pay that kind of money for oil unless it makes everything impervious to wear. Any good synthetic will protect as well as RP, just won't give the "extra" HP that RP claims. The weak point in any system is the oil filter. They only filter down to a certain micron no matter how good the oil is.

MADHATTER

Royal Purple... you don't need all that. I am biased away from synthetics and blends. Here's the thing. If you do a lot of racing, and I mean on tracks where you kick up the RPMs you will burn oil.

If you are worried about deposits run 5-30 instead of 10-30. If you hammer the truck all you do is add for the oil you burned. The heavier the weight the more gunk is in the oil so it will get into grooves in piston rings and cylinder walls and around valve stems to seal the engine. That will also leave deposits and buildup. I say better to burn oil than get buildup inside the engine.

I say run anything with Lucas oil additive and you will be fine. Sometimes drop in a container of Marvel.

If you engine is eating oil like gas... then you have another problem and some new fancy special oil isn't going to help.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run SWEPCO (a non syn oil) becasue it has the high levels of Zinc that have been taken out of new oils. They also are rated at a minimum of 6,000 mi between oil changes and can buy test kits that you send to their lab. All the old school air-cooled motor/antique car people use it becasue of the zinc and non-syn oil. It's about 7 bucks/quart. Well worth it to for longevity of internal parts. Also a good WIX/Fleetguard filter too. BI

rednck21

ive heard good things about royal purple and used it a time or two in various rigs. i usually run mobile 1 though.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If mobil 1 is API service rated for SM it has almost half the zinc in it compared to SL and previous rated oils. Without the appropriate zinc or ZDDP in the oil you are doing your motor no good. BI

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
what exactly is zinc good for?

Zinc is a "lubricant" per se. It is tha last line of defense in an oil to prevent metal to metal contact. It was primarily used in older automotive oil formulas primarily to protect the shear effect a flat tappet lifter has on the camshaft. Since modern motors have roller cams it's not as important. Zinc was also a big ingredient in diesel motor oils becasue of their high compression and the load it places on engine bearings but with the new EPA guidelines for diesels the levels have been reduced (zinc plays havoc with cat converts.)

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I was never a big advocate for synthetics in 4 stroke motors. ( i use them in my sleds, big difference in performance and deposits) then one day i went to Advance Auto Parts to get 5 qts and a filter for my dd (96 jimmy) my buddy was a manager and they had a sale on the Valvoline Dura blend, so i thought..why not. HOLY COW!!!! What a difference, starts easier, runs better, there was a noticeable HP increase. I Could not believe it. This truck was so gutless before, but now it can really move. Not saying that synthetics are for everything, just my experiences.

Grant

hose101

Contributor
royal purple is great, just expensive. There are many other synthetic oils out there that provide equivalent protection. Non synthetics are fine too. They are just prone to break down caused by exhaust gases. my friends father has an 89' s-10 he has always run mobil 1. He has never "changed" his oil. He replaces his filter every 3-5000 miles and tops off the oil. Now I would have thought him crazy, 10 years ago. he has 380,000 miles on the orignal motor with no sign of it quitting. How often are you planning to change your oil anyway. 3 times a year at $ 50 bucks a pop if you go with the expensive stuff isnt much more than if you went with them midgrade products. Costco sells mobil 1. a down side to synthetic is that they are way more slippery than an equivalently rated non synthetic. So if you are losing a quart every few months or so with the regular stuff, you can expect to lose more with the synthetic. Food for thought.

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
I use Royal Purple in my Motorcycle...that Crap is to expensive for regular use in an automobile...but it is really good stuff...hey if you can afford it, Get-R-Done.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Royal Purple is great stuff, how ever the added expense is to much to swallow when Mobil1 is about 2.00 cheaper and just as good

BG's 68 Bronco

I wouldn't use mobil one, as per Bronco Italiano has stated. I don't know why Royal Purple is so expensive for you guys b/c I only pay about $7/quart Best oil I have used. Ams oil?? I can't really say other than my BMW doesn't like it. I don't have any technical evidence that one is better than another just the way the engine seems to respond and I've always had excellent response with RP. Smoother seems to have more power and easyier starts when really cold out.

i did see the Muscle Car episode where they tested RP versus conventional oil in the same motor and there was a diff in HP and Torque, but there are many variables that could affect the results

SoCal68Bronco

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
i did see the Muscle Car episode where they tested RP versus conventional oil in the same motor and there was a diff in HP and Torque, but there are many variables that could affect the results
I saw that episode last week. They got 8 more HP just by swithing to RP
The conventional oil was O'Reilly's.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Zinc content is most important during the initial camshaft break in. After that it would always help, but not required.

Synthetics will allow you to drive longer between oil changes versus traditional dino juice, but in older vehicles I personally don't see that big of a difference. In newer vehicles that are engineered with much more strict and exact tolerances it really does make a (noticeable) difference. That said I usually do run a synthetic blend in my Bronco, which I haven't changed in 2+ years and it still looks like new. (I should probably change that sometime soon, but it's only been 3500 miles...%) )

I have never owned a vehicle that burned oil 'ever', so I would assume if that is the case you most likely have other issues aswell. I guess I should take that back, I did have a Chevy I drove at work that burned a quart every 1000 miles, but considering the whole drivetrain had a severe meltdown at about 30,000 miles I tend to think it was a total POS... I used to run air cooled VW's very hard and they didn't even burn oil...

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Zinc content is most important during the initial camshaft break in. After that it would always help, but not required.

Synthetics will allow you to drive longer between oil changes versus traditional dino juice, but in older vehicles I personally don't see that big of a difference. In newer vehicles that are engineered with much more strict and exact tolerances it really does make a (noticeable) difference. That said I usually do run a synthetic blend in my Bronco, which I haven't changed in 2+ years and it still looks like new. (I should probably change that sometime soon, but it's only been 3500 miles...%) )

I have never owned a vehicle that burned oil 'ever', so I would assume if that is the case you most likely have other issues aswell. I guess I should take that back, I did have a Chevy I drove at work that burned a quart every 1000 miles, but considering the whole drivetrain had a severe meltdown at about 30,000 miles I tend to think it was a total POS... I used to run air cooled VW's very hard and they didn't even burn oil...

I was refering to the link in post #17;D