• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick POR Question(s).

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Quick POR Question's. How long does it take for the brush strokes to 'flatten' out of this stuff. I painted two axle housings 3 hours ago and one of them still has brush marks in it! Will it flatten out or did I screw something up. One more thing, how long should it take to dry? Thanks.

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
I did both axles and the complete frame with no trouble. The trick I was told is it should be at least 50 degrees. The warmer the better. Mine was completely dry in 3 or 4 hours, best to leave overnight.:) :)

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
My applications leveled out almost immediately soon after applying it.

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
Just a FYI, I usually use those foam brushes when applying POR and they leave a nice smooth finish. If the brush marks don't fade, try a second coat with a foam brush.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I did both axles and the complete frame with no trouble. The trick I was told is it should be at least 50 degrees. The warmer the better. Mine was completely dry in 3 or 4 hours, best to leave overnight.:) :)

Too much heat won't dry it either! ;D I baked a few parts with POR once in my booth at 170 degrees for 30 minutes and it didn't dry. (Urethane clear dries in 10 minutes at that tempuature.) I couldn't take them home that night.
I would hurry and get a foam brush before it dries. I prefer spraying but I'm guessing you don't have a compressor?

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that I would try a second coat once, there assembled to cover up any scratches and blemishes. I'll try the foam brushes on the second coat.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
You will get the best overall finish with 2 coats. I have never gotten a perfect finish with a single coat. I only shoot the stuff on, but 2 coats always gave a uniform finish.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that I would try a second coat once, there assembled to cover up any scratches and blemishes. I'll try the foam brushes on the second coat.

If it dries you will need to scuff it before applying the second coat. A red scotchbrite will do it, just take the shine off. You might even have to sand the brush marks out if they are deep.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
FYI, don't use a styrofoam cup to dip your POR products out of the can - they melt!!!

Don't ask me how I know this.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
If it dries you will need to scuff it before applying the second coat. A red scotchbrite will do it, just take the shine off. You might even have to sand the brush marks out if they are deep.

No you dont. Reapplication can be much as a week if you dont handle it or apply anything over between coats.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
FYI, don't use a styrofoam cup to dip your POR products out of the can - they melt!!!

Don't ask me how I know this.

If you follow the directions and punch a small hole in the can to pour from, it eliminates this problem, unnecessary waste, and will yield a longer shelf life of product, especially if you keep it refrigerated after use.

Ask me how I know this...

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
No opinions involved. Just facts that should be known.
Check this out.
http://www.por15.com/TechInfo.asp
Look at application procedure.
2nd coat should be applied before the first has dried (usually 4 - 5 hours) slight finger drag remaining

Call them tomorrow and ask, if you are not sure. They are very helpful
800-726-0459

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Dry to touch and cured are two different things. POR will completely cure out in about a week. I am just going by the literture that was sent to me with the products. A second coat in a day or so will adhere just fine. Long as the part has not been handled or exposed to the elements. I have been using POR products for about 10 years now, and yet to find any weakness of their claims. Part of the preperation they suggest is overkill in some circumstances, but does protect them and their claims of what to expect.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
The best advice I have is to apply it as thin as possible and make sure the surface is really clean (no oil/grease) to interfere with the application. As others have said, call their tech line. They are very helpful there and can answer any and all questions you may have. I have used their engine paint and the standard black POR-15. Both are great products.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Dry to touch and cured are two different things. POR will completely cure out in about a week. I am just going by the literture that was sent to me with the products. A second coat in a day or so will adhere just fine. Long as the part has not been handled or exposed to the elements. I have been using POR products for about 10 years now, and yet to find any weakness of their claims. Part of the preperation they suggest is overkill in some circumstances, but does protect them and their claims of what to expect.
Yes, dry to touch and cured are two different things. So let me restate, If the first application is dry to the touch OR cured, the surface must be scuffed for the 2nd coat to adhere properly.

10 years huh? I have you beat you young whipper snapper ;) Yes, I too have yet to find any weakness of there claims. I have talked with them quite a few times on the telephone, and I'm sure they will advise needabronco to scuff the first coat, since it has dryed to the touch, before applying the 2nd coat.

A second coat in a day or so will adhere just fine AS LONG AS THE SURFACE HAS BEEN SCUFFED. Call them if you don't believe me. Don't insist on giving bad advice.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Everything that I have ever read/been told about POR15 indicates that the second coat should be applied when there is still slight finger drag (as Mark said).

In my limited experience, if you let it sit overnight (in average NM conditions), you will not have finger drag. Hence, I would scuff it before applying a second coat, IMHO.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I called POR they said I didn't prep the surface good enough. I admit I skipped the marine clean and metal ready, but the surface was media blased Monday, and I THOUROUGHLY cleaned them with laquer thinner. Mistake learned, but can I fix this without media blasting again and recoating?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Bummer, yes metal ready is a must use especially on bare metal.
I'm afraid to say media blast it again and start over.