• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost hose hitting valve cover

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I mounted a 92' Astro hydroboost upside down using the flat mounting plate. When I went to install the hoses I found that there is a clearance issue between one of the hoses and my valve cover.

I am using a straight adapter (o ring on one side AN fitting on the other) and a 90' Aeroquip fitting.

There is about 1 3/4" between the hydroboost and the valve cover. The fittings I have hit the valve cover.

I imagine I would need at least a 1/2 inch of clearance.

Anyone else run into this problem?
If I have a hose made would they be able to make a 90' bend with a smaller radius?

I would have taken a picture but out of frustration I took out the hydroboost and was going to mount it right side up. Then I decided I did not want to deal with the throttle cable.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I turned mine 90 degrees, it worked for me.

Attachments

• P1010034.JPG
    P1010034.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010038.JPG
    P1010038.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 107

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I also had to turn mine 90 degrees. Made an adapter plate between MC and hydroboost.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I turned mine 90 degrees, it worked for me.

Sorry to hijack -

What kind of valve covers are those bax? How do they compare in height to the stock 400 covers?

Kenny

I know what you mean by the tight HB vs. valve cover clearance. I pretty much did the exact same thing as you, and I barely cleared. Guess my body mounts are newer or my valve covers aren't as tall.

Removing that 16mm/6AN adaptor from the equation might give you the clearance that you need, correct? Maybe you can find a premade high pressure hose with a 90 degree 16mm o-ring fitting, that might give you the clearance you need? Or, if you still have your old Astro fittings, you might be able to get hoses made with those....assuming the bend is tight enough?

Or if you've been considering a body lift, now might be the time to do it.

Other options requiring parts/mods: rotating (like mentioned), angled bracket or move HB a few inches toward the fender - see link with TOFIC's comments/pictures. link

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
rotating the unit is one solution to this. If you rotate the unit ensure you put a little groove or channel in the unit so it can drain fluid if it starts to leak. Hydroboost will work in just about any position so experiment a little with your install. Also you need about 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance to anything for the lines. Do not forget flexible lines "swell" a bit under pressure and can rub so give them some room.

Consider the wide pedal shift, this ends all of your problems, one of these days I will get off my lazy butt and write that one up

TOFIC

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Can't you just swap sides on the master cylinder for the fittings? So the lines fit on the side of the master that is closest to the fender and not the engine.

That is what I ended up doing.

Matt

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Sorry to hijack -

What kind of valve covers are those bax? How do they compare in height to the stock 400 covers?

Stock covers, just some chrome for bling.

Kenny

Can't you just swap sides on the master cylinder for the fittings? So the lines fit on the side of the master that is closest to the fender and not the engine.

That is what I ended up doing.

Matt

I don't think he's having trouble with his MC lines. I think it's the high pressure line from the HB to the power steering box. I believe he rotated the HB 180 degrees to clear the accumulator from the throttle linkage.....when you do that, that particular line has very little clearance between the HB and valve cover.

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
got it... thanks

I don't think he's having trouble with his MC lines. I think it's the high pressure line from the HB to the power steering box. I believe he rotated the HB 180 degrees to clear the accumulator from the throttle linkage.....when you do that, that particular line has very little clearance between the HB and valve cover.

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I guess I have a couple of choices:
Rotate 180 (normal position)- I need to relocate the throttle linkage. Did I see on this site that Autozone sold a kit?

Rotate 90- I need to make an adapter (That may be a little bit of a challenge)

Leave upside down- Does anyone make a 90' 16 mm oring fitting? If I used one fitting instead of two it may work

I called to locations tham make hoses neither could help.

Do Astro's have 90' fittings?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I guess I have a couple of choices:
Rotate 180 (normal position)- I need to relocate the throttle linkage. Did I see on this site that Autozone sold a kit?

Rotate 90- I need to make an adapter (That may be a little bit of a challenge)

Leave upside down- Does anyone make a 90' 16 mm oring fitting? If I used one fitting instead of two it may work

I called to locations tham make hoses neither could help.

Do away with the stock throttle linkage and get a throttle cable. You will have lots more room. BC sells a good one.

The adapter is easy to make, If you can drill holes you can do it. I think WH has a picture of one. They dont sell them separately.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ahh. Thanks. I was hoping to have some more room, but I guess not.

You need to think about the 3'' body lift. I can just get my v covers off. Also the angled hydro boost would be better.

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Throttle cable

Anyone using the Spectre throttle cable?
http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.2431
Would this work?

I saw BCbroncos sells one but I would like to get the hydroboost finished this weekend.

I am also looking into getting a thick enough piece of steel or aluminum to make a braket that would allow me rotate the hydroboost.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Anyone using the Spectre throttle cable?
http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.2431
Would this work?

I saw BCbroncos sells one but I would like to get the hydroboost finished this weekend.

I am also looking into getting a thick enough piece of steel or aluminum to make a braket that would allow me rotate the hydroboost.

3/8th of an inch thick in all you need. A 3/8'' drill bit and a 1 5/8'' hole saw. go low and use oil on the hole saw. Also check the size of the hole I could be wrong on the size. I just installed the bc cable and I just checked out the link you posted. The BC is adapted to fit the bronco. There are a few pieces that it has that the universal cable doe's not.

Kenny

I'm not sure if you have any Pick-N-Pulls in your area, but I've seen brackets that rotate the HB in junkyards. They look very similar to the WH one but made of steel rather than aluminum. It's been a while, but I believe they were in certain big Ford passenger cars and/or Lincolns from the mid 80's. I think they rotated the HB approx 30-60 degrees. I'm not even sure how you're thinking of solving the clearance issue, but I figured I'd mention this as a plausible option.