• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake master cylinder on '75 Sport

Bradsp8

Anybody know how I can get the part number for my master brake cylinder? How about the part # that most likely came stock should mine be some aftermarket brand? I need a new one and can't find a part number anywhere. I've got a '75 Sport with drum brakes all around, brake booster and 2 resevoir master cylinder. I want to get an OEM new or OEM remanufactured if possible. The FORD dealers in town are useless, one says will take a day or two to find the time to go through his microfiche records, the other says he "knows" they don't have records as far back as 75. Thanks.

Kenny

What side are the brake line ports on the MC (driver or passenger)?

OP
OP
Bradsp8

Bradsp8

The lines are attached to ports coming off the drivers side of the MC.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
i JUST PUT A NEW m/c on my Bronco 72 ...It has always had really good brakes for a drum unit ...But my M/C went bad so I bought a new one ..I knew I was planning to do my disk swap in a few weeks so I wanted one that would work on both my drum and my disk conversion ....I put an A1 brand .. 10-1676 ..it has the lines that exit to the driver outside ...I BELIEVE it had an 1 1/16 bore best I COULD GET IT MEASURED w/o taking it apart ...
....THIS week I have most of my disk conversion done should finish it tonight ..AND DRIVE IT .........
...I'll post back if this one doen't work with my disk setup .

Kenny

Since I believe that power brakes were not an option until '76, I'm not certain what you have, but it sounds like you have the stock ~67-75 MC. If it was the 76-77, it would have the ports coming off the passenger's side. I wouldn't recommend the 76-77, because it's for front discs.

In Napa and Advance Auto (maybe other stores too?), you can reference part # 101390 for a remanufactured '75 MC done by Cardone. I'd bring in your old MC to compare. The stock bore should be 1 inch, and check the depth of the hole in the back of the MC where the booster's pushrod goes....it's important that they're both the same depth.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Key word bronconaz is "good"parts house I went to the 3rd parts house last week before I found one ...At all 3 places I had to ask for a book because the kids kept saying We don't have anything that old listed ...Since I'm an old parts man they just hate to see me coming ...But the kids at O'Really seem to say ok how we going to find this ...
...2ND my disk work the master cyl worked for me ...It got really dark so I quit but I think I still had a leak ...But I did drive it and it stopped ...

OP
OP
Bradsp8

Bradsp8

Found the number 2140 in a diagram in a repair manual so I will see if that helps the parts store find what I need.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try this page. Partsamerica is the CSK site I think and is usually full of parts possibilites. As an old parts guy, looking them up yourself becomes easy there.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=230&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Master+Cylinder

I always thought power assist was available before discs came in. Like about '74/'75 ish or so. Maybe not though, since they only list manual or non-specific cylinders here.
They do however list both a 1" and a 13/16" choices, which is odd for only non-power brakes. I would have thought the smaller one might be for power, the larger for manual. Dunno.

Do your lines coming out of the master look like they were factory bent, or sort of twisted around to fit? All the power setups I've seen had ports facing the passenger side. If that's all stock, then it's something else I learned today.

By the way, are you planning to change over to disc brakes anytime in the near future? It's a great thing. And it might help you decide which master cylinder to get after all.

Good luck either way.

Paul