• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco sits lower in front than back... FIX???

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I have a duff 3.5 suspsension lift. 11 leaf spring pack and 3.5 coils. With the motor in, it is raked forward, stink bug like. There will be a custom bumper on back and a hard top (both not on now). Will this help level it out? Also plan on putting a custom built winch bumper on front in the future. What are my options???? Go to 4.5 coils up front? Take a leaf out and make it a 10 pack? Any other options? Thanks

Matt

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
How much rake? Yes the hardtop and rear bumper will lower the rear. Might have to just wait and see after its loaded.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Enough rake to notice it. I had heard of some people who have taken 1 leaf out of the springs in the back but didnt know if this was a good idea or how much it changed the stiffness or softness of the ride

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Are they brand new springs? If so, give them some wear-in time and then see what it looks like.

BlackHorse

Has it ever been out of the garage? If not don't even waste your time thinking about all this until you drive it. You also want all the weight on that will be "normal". Add all the weight drive it around for a few weeks and them see how it sits.

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
The rear bumper and top may help, but the winch and front bumper will probably offset any gains.

I fixed this problem with my body lift. I have a 1.5" of body lift in front dropping progressively to .5" in the rear. I’m sure some will disagree with this method, but as long as everything sits square and solid, I think it's fine.

I don't think you could go anymore than an 1" or so and still have it all sit on the mounts properly though. Unless you were to cut the spacers on the appropriate angles, which would be a pain, and I'm not sure that I would want the body sitting on angled spacers anyway.

Just another option to consider.:)

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
If the front and rear springs are new, they are both going to settle. I would think that the front springs would settle more than the rears however, although I am no expert on suspension.

How much does the top and rear bumper weigh? Are you sure you have the correct springs? Removing the very short leaves from the rear should have only a little effect, but then they won't dramatically change your rake.

I would put the top and bumper on and let it settle for a week or so. If it still is raked, then I would raise the front by either going with a larger spring in front or going with longer front radius arms with lift built in to them.

Just my $.02

Chris B.

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
Option 1: Call Duff's
Option 2: Drive it and measure it again
Option 3: Add front height or remove rear height

What is the actual measurement of "enough rake to notice"?

What angle axle wedge (radius arm) bushings are you using?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It will settle and keep in mind that most of the venders recommend using leafs that are 1" taller in the rear if running a hard top and heavy bumpers ect. I suspect that soon you'll have the opposite problem and be needing more lift in the rear because of the sag.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It will settle and keep in mind that most of the venders recommend using leafs that are 1" taller in the rear if running a hard top and heavy bumpers ect. I suspect that soon you'll have the opposite problem and be needing more lift in the rear because of the sag.

yup. Mine is 5.5"..started out with slight forward rake..settled out within a month to level..then setteld more to lower in the back and I added 0.5" blocks..to lower still and I replaced those with 1"..and after 4 years it sits sligthly arse down now..but finally stopped dropping and I stopped fooling with it. Wouldn't touch 'em myself..not for a good long time.