• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 AC Compressor

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
I have an ac compressor on the Explorer motor and really dont have a desire for AC right now. Does anyone know how to delete the compressor? Can I cap it. I'd like to leave it on in case I change my mind, but right now I'd rather just focus on getting the damn thing running. Not keeping it Icy cool.

Attachments

• AC.jpg
    AC.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 29

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I would think AC was an option with a different belt routing.
If not figure out the routing without measure and match up a belt.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I have an ac compressor on the Explorer motor and really dont have a desire for AC right now. Does anyone know how to delete the compressor? Can I cap it. I'd like to leave it on in case I change my mind, but right now I'd rather just focus on getting the damn thing running. Not keeping it Icy cool.

Two options:

1. (the simplest) Leave it on there. As long as the clutch isn't engaged, and it won't be unless you apply 12 volts to it, the compressor isn't turning. The clutch pulley just acts as an idler. You might want to cover the ports in the back to keep dirt out, if you care about the long term survival prospects of the compressor. Just don't try using it for onboard air. It won't last. Personal experience, having fried a couple of them in short order.

2. Remove the pump entirely and use a shorter belt. I don't know the length required, maybe someone else will chime in, but you don't need to replace the compressor with an idler if you go this route.

Last edited: