• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bent frame?

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
so i measured to the bottom of my core support on level ground, and the passenger side is nearly an inch higher than the driver side. i then set a 4 ft level across my front frame horns on level ground and the bubble balanced in the middle. when i got down at eye level to investigate, the driver side front body/frame mount appeared to be even with the level. the passenger side appeared to be canted slightly upwards. would that be an indicator that it aint straight no more?

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
Hard to say, I would say alot of the bronco frames are not straight for whatever reasons. Quality wasn't real precise back then either.

Your core support measurement could be body mount bushings or a low tire. Hard to determine with the description. Frame horns also get bent.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a 76, the d-side was higher than the pass, after checking everthing out the body mount horn under the driver side front floor pan was kicked up, just as you described about yours, insted of fixing the b-mount horn at the factory they just added shims on all the others on the same side to compensate for this, everything lined up however the body didn't sit level with the frame.
I would guess if you look at the other body mounts on that side you will find metal shims between the rubber bushings and the body, they will have Ford stamped in them.
There are 2 ways to fix this problem:
1: Take all the body mount bolts loose on that side, jack the body up so you can remove all the shims, remove the front body mount bushing, or which ever one that is higher, now set the body back down onto the bushings except for the one that is higher, keep this one out, once the body is setting level and everything lines up you can see how much you need to cut the rubber bushing so it will set where it should.
2: Do the same procedure as #1 however do not cut the rubber bushing but remove the horn from the frame and reweld it in the location that is needed.

Both procedures are time consuming but are worth it IMO.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
after further investigation, it appears that the passenger frame horn is just ever so slightly rotated clockwise (if you are looking at it from the front), causing the front passenger mount to lift every so slightly skyward. with the truck sitting level, the frame horns measure the same distance from the ground and the bubble on my 4 ft level is centered. when i measure the height to the bottom of the radiator support on each end, i get 27.125" on the driver's side, and 27.875 on the passengers side. for the time being, i guess i will just shim the drivers side mount to get it "true".

i am not sure if this is a factory flaw (given the quality of the welds, i wouldnt be surprised) or damage incurred at a later date. how concerned should i be about the integrity of the frame?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As far as integrity of the frame I wouldn't worry too much unless the frame has lots of rust, however you may want to check it over, look for any signs of other damage that may have been caused from an accident, use your own judgement.
Note: If you put shims under one body mount you will have to place them under all of the mounts on that side so the body line will line up.