• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

shackle/hanger bolt removal...

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
i got the nut off. i got the bolt to spin. it laughed at a BFH, and heat did nothing but set the bushing on fire...how do i get that dang rear hanger/shackle bolt out?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
air hammer you know one of those mini hand held jack hammers. you can use a tip for it that is a bit like a crow bar works wonders I swear.

csjr

Loc.
Lighthouse Point, FL
air hammer you know one of those mini hand held jack hammers. you can use a tip for it that is a bit like a crow bar works wonders I swear.

He's right--it should push right out. Brace it up on a concrete block or something. If still problems try passing a hacksaw blade through the hole and cutting a slit through the steel sleeve and rubber, then resume above procedure.

NMWILLY

Loc.
Hendersonville, NC
Sometimes you have to just let that bushing burn!

Once it burns away the bolt will fall out and like mentioned above take a hack saw blade (or a saws all if your lazy like me) and cut the sleeve.
Couple wacks and the sleeve will come on out.

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I've had good luck with a air hammer too.

I usually start the nut a little, and use an air hammer with a blunt bit. The nut will help keep the tip of the bit from walking off the bolt.

When that fails I get out the fire wrench.
FlameThrower.gif

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
i may have confused you guys. the shackle is still in the rear hanger. the bolt that holds it in there spins but does not move back at all even when you try to motivate it with a BFH. i wish i get something under the bolt head to pry, but there is not room.

so if i just let that bushing burn, the sleeve should break loose and the bolt should come out of the hanger?

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I'd still start with the air hammer. I assume you mean where the shackle bolts to the hanger.

If it's where the spring bolts to the shackle, start with the other one so you can get the springs out, and torch away if necessary.

The sleeve is probably siezed to the bolt. The heat may have allowed the sleeve to break free from the rubber.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
yes yes you need to attack it from the other side not the side with the head push from the thread side put on a nut like fish bone said and it should come out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The reason they're also saying you may need a saw is that if all that buring, prying and hammering does not break the bolt free from the sleeve, you'll have to cut the bolt because the sleeve will not come out through the smaller hole meant for the bolt only.
And yes, sometimes they're so rusted in there that nothing you do will free it up. But the air-hammer is a good start!
Prying certainly can help, but if it's really rusted in there, you're just expending a lot of personal energy and probably prying for nothing. I like prying and hammering together too, but it hasn't always worked on shackle bolts.
I'm sure you figured out by now you should have new shackle bushings handy, if you don't already.
Have fun!

Paul