• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Chebby Disc Conversion--HELP Please Look**Figured it Out

kbronco

I did searches but couldn't find the info I needed. OK I'm having some issues with my Chebby disc brake conversion. I'm putting it on my new D44 and don't really know what order all the pieces go in. I have clymer and chilton manuals, but the pictures aren't real clear as to what parts go where. I have an idea, but need some confirmation before I get this all put together. I have pictures attached. One has numbers to use for the order.

The order I'm thinking is:

5-first on stub

4-Which side faces out?

3-Don't know for sure.

2-Sits on spindle bearing (1) somehow.

1-Goes inside the spindle.

6-I'm not positive where this one goes. Maybe on the "face" of the knuckle.

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/15022/cat/500/ppuser/15875
http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/15023/cat/500/ppuser/15875

Numbers 1-5 were in the spindle bearing kit and 6 is axle seal.

Any help is appreciated. Also if anyone has pics that would be even better for a simpleton like myself.

kbronco

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are these pieces from someone's disc kit? Cool. That's a pretty complete set of parts. The slinger is especially exciting (for those of us that get excited about that kind of thing) to see.
These parts are not disc brake specific. All the axles have them through all years, with minor variations.
OK, I'm going by very old memories here, so anyone please chime right in to correct me if you see anything out of whack.

Number 1:
This is your spindle bearing and needs to be pressed into the inside (facing the axle housing) side of the spindle before the spindle is installed.
Just so you know, it's the bearing that your outer axle (stub, short side, etc) rides in and is supported by. It's only used when in 4-wheel drive. It should be greased heavily so that it has a long and happy life. The excess grease also helps to keep water out of your spindle and wheel-bearings.
(ok, sorry for the long description of just one piece, but I thought you'd like to know.)

Number 2
This is the spindle-bearing seal. It installs open face in (facing spindle or outside of vehicle) so that all you see is the closed side when it's installed. It also goes on before you installe the spindle on the axle and knuckle.

Number 5
I'll jump to 5 just because it goes on to your short axle stub first (and I'm still excited about it). The collar faces outward, away from the u-joint if I remember. You might double-check your pictures and maybe look for it on your old axle if it's still there. The collar could interfere with number 4, I'm guessing, so that's another good reason to double-check me on the position. I've never replaced one and they were like gold years ago. Now I'm glad to see they're in a kit.
Don't bother taking an old one off just to replace it with a new one though. Not worth it unless your old one is chewed or loose.

Number 3
This is a shim that goes on the stub shaft too. The original ones were bronze, but the replacements have been plastic for years. The side with the bevelled inner diameter faces in, towards the axle housing, so that it will push up flush against the radiused part of the machined axle.

Number 4
I don't know what it's official name is, but it's another part of the axle/spindle seal set. It could be a combination seal and cushion to help control the in-and-out movement of the axle shaft and help seal out crap. Whatever, it goes on up against the slinger and is a semi-loose fit. The "accordion" side faces towards the axle I think, but again, is probably not direction sensitive but still worth double-checking.

Number 6
As you said, that's your hub/bearing seal and is one of the last part installed. And then only after you've installed the inner wheel bearing into the hub. Same number (usually 4250) as stock Ford. So when looking for a replacement next time you do a bearing re-pack, you just order one for a disc-brake Bronco. Unless your kit is something exotic.

Hope that helps.

Paul

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Thanks for the help guys. I think I've got it all figured out now.

K