• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 44 problem

cs29ff12

ok i am in the middle of doing a disc brake conversion on my dana 44 when i pulled the axle shafts and found that there was a large amount of sand in the tubes. does anyone have a great trick to remove the sand and avoid removing sand and keeping it out. thanks to all of you bronco geniuses that have great tricks for fixing problems

MADHATTER

The sand and dirt will fill the tubes, and no you will not keep it out it is designed to work that way. There are seals at the pumpkin and at the knuckle, the slingers keep heavy debris out of the tube but water and dirt will get in there and it is supposed to.

To remove the sand you need to open the cover, which means change the fluid and new gasket and then stuff a rag in the inner axle seal and then vac the tubes with a shop vac and the 1" tube... job done

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Small shop vacuum tube, just shove it in and out and it will loosen up the sand and suck it out.

There was a company selling a outer seal for the Jeep Dana 44 axle tube but I don't think it fit our Dana 44's.

mr.n

Since you pulled the axle shafts....

Get some new inner seals.
Get 4' of threaded rod. Place the threaded rod into the axle housing, until it's at the center. Then place a nut, washer the size of the inner tube, and nut. Pull it out. Repeat, and again. Now try a smaller washer and a rag.

Now tilt that side of the housing down, and use some cleaner to spray from the pumpkin into the tube. Run rag through, and spiral it on the way out.

Take some primer, dip a clean rag in and paint the inside of the tube same way.
I like oil paint, as water and mud doesn't cling as well.

Bronco Brett

Loc.
little rock ar
i did mine in the shop parts washer ( a real tight fit and quite a sight im sure) but i pulled gears and inner seals . ran solvent and brush to remove gear lube and sand-concrete till they were clean, then painted to make future cleanings easier. new seals re installed gears.