• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer donor power steering pump-hydroboost

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I have hydroboost in my truck and am buying a 00 explorer 5.0 takeout. Is the explorer pump going to work easily hydroboost(right number of ports) or will I have to change something?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have hydroboost in my truck and am buying a 00 explorer 5.0 takeout. Is the explorer pump going to work easily hydroboost(right number of ports) or will I have to change something?

It'll work just fine.

Todd Z.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I ended up going to the JY and sourcing two remote reservoirs off of a couple of Astros. I used the poorer condition reservoir to cannibalize for the return tube, drilled a hole into the good one and welded up the reservoir to provide a steel dual return reservoir. Made a bracket out of some 16 guage sheet. The only real issue is that the reservoir is only about 3/4 the volume/size of the Explorer plastic res. I figure I can add a cooler later on if I need more capacity. The pump seems to be holding up fine...in the garage/drive-way. I used the Earls HP fittings and DIY HD hoses. It appears that one of the fittings may not be long enough to fully seat and seal on the Output of the pump. It has a slow-seep...the adapter fitting is almost bottomed out to its wrench face. I did notice that the original hose had quite a long fitting. Otherwise, the Explorer pump seems to be more than fine...butter turns.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I run the stock explorer pump with my hydroboost and it works just fine (thanks again ToddZ!) I just T'd one of the return lines and it's been working fine ever since.

Ben

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I ended up going to the JY and sourcing two remote reservoirs off of a couple of Astros. I used the poorer condition reservoir to cannibalize for the return tube, drilled a hole into the good one and welded up the reservoir to provide a steel dual return reservoir. Made a bracket out of some 16 guage sheet. The only real issue is that the reservoir is only about 3/4 the volume/size of the Explorer plastic res. I figure I can add a cooler later on if I need more capacity. The pump seems to be holding up fine...in the garage/drive-way. I used the Earls HP fittings and DIY HD hoses. It appears that one of the fittings may not be long enough to fully seat and seal on the Output of the pump. It has a slow-seep...the adapter fitting is almost bottomed out to its wrench face. I did notice that the original hose had quite a long fitting. Otherwise, the Explorer pump seems to be more than fine...butter turns.

The Explorer pressure port is an oddball. When I did my swap none of the big fitting companies had anything that fit correctly. BUT... Try contacting Lee Manufacturing. Tom Lee makes a brass adapter fitting for the Explorer pump to -6AN. I bought one when I did the Explorer swap a couple of years ago. About $12 for the fitting, if memory serves. No website, I don't believe he's a web animal. Very small operation, and he's reportedly had some health issues, so you may need to keep trying:

Lee Manufacturing Co
11661 Pendleton St
Sun Valley, CA 91352

(818) 768-0371

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about the explorer PS pump with hydroboost AND ram assist? Does it have enough in it to do both?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
What about the explorer PS pump with hydroboost AND ram assist? Does it have enough in it to do both?

I have my doubts. About the only pump I have seen that can do this is the big Saginaw. I could be wrong, what say you ToddZ? Will this work?
TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have my doubts. About the only pump I have seen that can do this is the big Saginaw. I could be wrong, what say you ToddZ? Will this work?
TOFIC

I have absolutely zero experience with ram steering so I can't say. However, if I was a betting man, I'd follow TOFIC's hunch and say it's not enough. Go Saginaw...

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Actually John, Todd Z. deserves the credit. He was the one who pointed me in that direction. I'm just passing on the favor.

And I learned from others myself.

Todd Z.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
By the way, when I called Tom Lee about my adaptor fitting I had to ask the nice lady on the phone to look up Todd's past purchase order. I wanted to make sure I got the right one and Lee wasn't sure what I was looking for.

Ben

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have absolutely zero experience with ram steering so I can't say. However, if I was a betting man, I'd follow TOFIC's hunch and say it's not enough. Go Saginaw...

Todd Z.

What are my options with Explorer Serp. set-up to run hydroboost and ram assist? Has anyone made a sag bracket to work with th explorer brackets?

If hydroboost is out - what is my next best braking alternative (economical option) to help control 40's on rocks? I have my doubts about a booster with that big of a tire.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
What are my options with Explorer Serp. set-up to run hydroboost and ram assist? Has anyone made a sag bracket to work with th explorer brackets?

If hydroboost is out - what is my next best braking alternative (economical option) to help control 40's on rocks? I have my doubts about a booster with that big of a tire.

Jack Covert in Elk Grove, CA has Explorer front dress on his Bronco with hydroboost brakes (I think) and full hydro steering. He's using a Saginaw TC style pump which (I think) he told me he got from Howe Performance. It's been a few years since we discussed it, but I seem to remember him saying it was a near-bolt on. Like he had to drill an additional mounting hole, no more. Since the TC pump takes a different (press on) pulley, you'd need that too.

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
I talked to PSC about the explorer p/s pump regarding ram assist. They said there was not much they could do with them UNLESS they were like the superduty truck pumps.....might be an option. I have not looked into it futher.