• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Stretch pics (steering box)

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
If you guys would kindly post some pictures of your F150 4x4x2 steering set up on your stretched rigs. Need mainly for Ideas. Thanks all.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
If you are going to move your front axle forward, the easiest thing to do is to use the 4x4 box in it's stock form (don't swap the worm gear) so the pitman arm faces forward. This will eliminate any drag link interferance.

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
looks like he is only planning on going 3" forward. using the f150 box (unmodified), moves the pitman arm approximately 12" forward if you mount the box in the stock location. That 12" puts it near the front frame horns and near harms way considering steep approach angles.

i am planning on moving my front 4-6" forward, relocating coil buckets, trac bar mount, etc. without mocking stuff in place, it looks like i have two options to keep from getting that huge 12" difference with the pitman arm forward:

1. move the steering box back to bring the Pitman arm back

2. mount the box in the stock location and index the pitman arm so that it faces towards the front passenger tire. i havent thought through this one yet, so i am not sure of all of the implications (i.e. clearance of track bar when turning right, etc)

sorry for the semi-hijack, but just some more considerations...

OP
OP
PsYcHoBrOnCo

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
If you are going to move your front axle forward, the easiest thing to do is to use the 4x4 box in it's stock form (don't swap the worm gear) so the pitman arm faces forward. This will eliminate any drag link interferance.
I had considered this but have not tested it yet...is this what you did? Ive got 3in of front stretch and can possibly go 1 more inch.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I had considered this but have not tested it yet...is this what you did? Ive got 3in of front stretch and can possibly go 1 more inch.

I haven't moved my front axle forward yet. But this is what I will do when I do it. You'll need to mount the box a little further back on the frame from the stock steering box location.

I'm still in the middle of my rear axle 4-link coilover build. As soon as I get that buttoned up, I'm going to move my front axle forward about 3 inches. This will put me at about 101 inch wheelbase.