• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rough start any ideas

duganfife

I replaced everything as far as the battery, starter, voltage regulator, starter selinoid, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser.......thought the girl might like it......turns out it started better before on the first turn of the key....now the engine starts but when I turn the key the engine doesn't turn over as easy. even after warming up it won't start right away... by the way vacum hoses are good as well as timing??????

Rockin69er

A friend of mine has his own auto electric repair shop and he says the most common problem on ANY electrical problem is a proper ground. Make sure you have very clean connections for you battery cables. If that doesn't work I would say the bushings in the ends of you starter are worn out.

OP
OP
D

duganfife

cool I am pulling everything out and using a wire brush on everything....what bushings are you refering to? it is a new starter as well......

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Recheck your points gap then reset your timing whenever points are swapped and regapped it tends to change the timing a little Try advacning a bit more than the stock setting (8-12 degrees is usually good) it will usaully help in the starting department. I doubt that the bushing in the starter drive is causing your problems.

OP
OP
D

duganfife

i put autolites in. Is there a brand that tend to work better in broncos?

OP
OP
D

duganfife

all was done except for adjusting the carb which I have since done and still having the issue...

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I had trouble for years starting my truck. A few weeks ago I asked a question and was told to use a vacuum guage to fine tune my timeing and carb. WOW, what a difference. I normally only used a timing light but this time I have been able to start the truck without using the choke. Bought a dwell meter to use as an under hood tach and vacuum guage and haven't even truly fine tuned everything but she starts pretty well now. With points you might want to get a dwell meter as well.

OP
OP
D

duganfife

well gents I think we are making progress!!! I rechecked all grounds and gap once more. I decided to recheck the plugs and found that they were extremely fouled...dark black. I am getting some blow by so I think I am going to put in a spark plug arrestor and see how she does. by the way it fired right up when i changed the pluggs several times. I drove it a few miles shut her off and no start! talk about frusterating! so after a few trys it started back up but out of the blue died going down the road!? started right back up though and went home....i also think I am going to check the coil.

OP
OP
D

duganfife

well this is turning out to be a learning experience! I finally determined that the timing is correct! My neighbor hooked a dwell up to it...much better than gapping! Also found that awhile back the wire going to the choke fell off....fixed but fouled all the plugs. well any way she is running better now.....but STILL NOT RIGHT! doesn't start right up and now when I first start driving her she will DIE! engine just shuts off. no stumbling, no cutting out, lights and everything stay on but the engine shuts off? so far it will only do it one time after that no problems till I shut it off! what now!?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Put champion RF14Y OR CHANGE to their new no. like 861 not necessarily that but champion now used a 3 digit no _ _ _ ....Cajin what the no. Motorcraft and Autolite are ok I just know the champion no...Make sure the choke is open wire it open if needed to make sure it will run ...THEN after the timing is correct adjust you dwell ....To me this order seems to be more critical on a ford than on old chebys .....
...Some old tech might wade in here and give your order of how to set each ..
I've gone Thur this with mine .....I must have put in a 100 sets of points when I had my parts store but yet when it came down to mine a few months ago ...AN ole tech walks out and says your points are closed no ..yes..no..after he adjusted my timing 1st my points were off ...I stood there w/ my mouth open ..I must have checked it 4 times before he got there ...

OP
OP
D

duganfife

well this is turning out to be a learning experience! I finally determined that the timing is correct! My neighbor hooked a dwell up to it...much better than gapping! Also found that awhile back the wire going to the choke fell off....fixed but fouled all the plugs. well any way she is running better now.....but STILL NOT RIGHT! doesn't start right up and now when I first start driving her she will DIE! engine just shuts off. no stumbling, no cutting out, lights and everything stay on but the engine shuts off? so far it will only do it one time after that no problems till I shut it off! what now!?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
This may sound stupid, but did you pull vacuum hose when setting timing? Also, just started a new project that PO had swapped out a 4bbl for the stock 2bbl, wrong vacuum signal and holds dizzy at full advance. Gave all the same problems you are having.