• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

crawler gears

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
are the JP Rock Eater Gears still available? They show on the BC Broncos site but then when you click to buy, they're not showing. I know most of the stores have the 3.15:1 but 4.86:1 is pretty nice. I'd like an Atlas but with the cost of an adapter, that puts that around 3k which is beyond my budget.

If 3.15:1's are all that is available then I'm stuck with that, but any help is appreciated.

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
are the JP Rock Eater Gears still available? They show on the BC Broncos site but then when you click to buy, they're not showing. I know most of the stores have the 3.15:1 but 4.86:1 is pretty nice. I'd like an Atlas but with the cost of an adapter, that puts that around 3k which is beyond my budget.

If 3.15:1's are all that is available then I'm stuck with that, but any help is appreciated.

how about this in 5.44:1 via

http://www.stak4x4.com/2speed_bbox.htm

with no adapter as stated:

http://www.stak4x4.com/c4.htm

OP
OP
RFR2212

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
very nice! 2150 for everything isn't bad. Only downside is no speedo, but for an offroad only rig, that seems moot for the time being.. Thanks for that heads up

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I don't sell the JP gears any more because of the price. The JP gears are top quality but by the time you get the gears installed you will have the price of a STAK. And a STAK is all new. Also the 3 speed box is made to fit your trans. too. There are several ways to get a speedo. There is a driveshaft pick-up speedo and have you looked at the Nordskug GPS based speedo? It looks like a analog speedo, you can see it on my store. We run it in our desert racer. No matter how fast you are spinning your wheels or what size tires or what gear ratio it always gives your true speed.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
I have a 3 speed in stock thats a VERY good deal if you are looking at a 3 speed.

You can hookup the STak VSS sender to your stock speedometer, 2 company's have a adapter out now but it is a little pricey to do..the cheapest one is about $275. I'd Get a elect speedometer or a GPS as Chuck said.

Let me know if I can help.

Cary

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
I just added the Terra low kit to my Dana 20, with 488 gears, 37's, my ratio increased by 35ish %, which having wheeled only once made a difference.
however, cant really move from trail to trail in 2 low anymore.
bought from WH, with the new output shaft, had the driveshafts rebuilt, labor for the install, total $2K.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As they have said. The JPs are good stuff and they want you to pay for it. With that much gear you also need the upgraded output shaft. Those 2 parts will cost as much as something better.

There is another problem with the 4.86 transfer case gears, gearing too low. I knew someone who ran a set behind a C4 and I know someone else who runs a 5.0 Atlas behind a NP435. They rock on the rocks, but between the highway and the rocks they sucked. Gearing was too high in high range and to low in low range for something as simple as a sandwash. Actually the 435/5.0 Atlas wasn't that bad except he refused to ever take it out of low range. Ever been frustrated at someone trying to make a 3 point turn on the trail because they were so damn slow? We had someone walk up and ask if we had a problem? Motor is turning 3,000 RPM and the truck movment is so slow that they could walk up and ask if we needed help.

I run the 3.15, they work very nice. I can still get speed in low range. A little anyway, at least into the double digits comfortably. I would rally like the Stak 3 speed. Just have that little budget issue.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
I really encourage everyone to look seriously at a 3 speed..or if you want a Atlas 4 speed:-X . Having deep gears is great in the hard sections but like MTfit and Broncobowsher said they suck everywhere else..hence 3 or 4 speeds. Yes price comes into play but its not that much more especally when you factor in the added utility.

Cary

Last edited:
OP
OP
RFR2212

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Good to hear guys.. I really am not sure, but do like the compatability of the Stak. I think my gearing sucks with 36s 4.56s a c4 and an old but trusty 302. I'm a lil worried that 3.15 might not make me happy. I only do trails and crawl around for fun. No comp and no high speed anything. This thing gets trailered everywhere. Tax returns come soon and I'm tossing around the ideas..

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
My first pick is the stak 3 speed with the 5.44/3.05 gears. That is what I ended up with after the JP gears, then an Atlas II, now stak

OP
OP
RFR2212

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
I'd like to see pics too. I've got exhaust to redo and a tcase would be important in that equasion. I've also got hydro assist or fully hydro to do... Tax returns are comming, it's all on what will fit best. Thanks Ctowery for the PM. I'll let you know what i end up doing.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
In an Early Bronco the 2 speed case will sit with the bottom flat about even with the bottom of the frame rails, theres is a cross member that actually keeps the case from clocking to much in either direction, but the case itself will clock by 4 degrees in a 360 degree circle.

Trying to find my 2 speed pics., I've got better ones somewhere..old Cu?

Heres a 3 speed..Its better to use a 2-3" BL for more clearance and the ability to clock all you can.

Cary

Last edited:

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I'd like to see a pic or 2 of a stak in place. Thanks for the offer!

Since y'all are now talking replacement boxes I vote Atlas 4sp. Its about 2.5inches below the frame rail in the photo. One guy here on CB slid the tail to the right and clocked it up flatter. I'm still voting 4sp as I LOVE using low/low in the real technical spots. JMO.

Attachments

• 01 007 (Small).jpg
    01 007 (Small).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 47

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
Since y'all are now talking replacement boxes I vote Atlas 4sp. Its about 2.5inches below the frame rail in the photo. One guy here on CB slid the tail to the right and clocked it up flatter. I'm still voting 4sp as I LOVE using low/low in the real technical spots. JMO.

i think the original issue was a price issue, and with the added adapters and assembly disassemply required by an Atlas, it may become cost prohibitive.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Not to hijack, but I had a thougt.. With the Atlas and Stack both do they offer any PTO winch output capabilities? That would be the main reason I would stick with my D20..??