• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

axle problems

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
i bought new youkon 31 spline axles. they came with a thicker or wider coller than stock and the axle wont go all the way in it seem like the coller is hitting the seal in the axle tube. is there a different seal i can get? the axle wont even turn when i start to tighten it down. the only other thing i can think of is that i have the wrong length axle in the wrong side but i think there is more of a difference in length than that.

OP
OP
C

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
so the axles could be the wrong ones? when i start to tighten the axle down it wont spin at all even when i try to force it with somthing. this is why i am thinking it is the coller or retainer hitting the seals in the housing. the collers are like a little over and inch and the old ones were alot thinner not in diameter but length

Itsa67

Are your axles of the small or large bearing variety and do you know if you have standard type bearings or the tapered roller bearings?

OP
OP
C

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
its a 76. the bearings are tapered. i had to put the race in the housing then put the axle in. it seems like the stock bearings pulled out in one peice with the race and bearing together. did they send me the wrong setup? i tohught it might have been an upgrade or somthing?

Itsa67

Um, I haven't worked with those but I'm sure someone much more experienced with this will chime in. I do know that the tapered bearings are an upgrade and that they are somewhat tougher but I'm not sure about fitment issues.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I don't have experience with your bearing type, but I know my Yukon axles were quite different than the ones they replaced but they did fit. In my application, they supplied permanently sealed bearings and a spacer to eliminate the outer seal all together. I was a little skeptical but they said this was the best way to go so I guess only time will tell. At least my axles had the access hole in it for the retainer bolts, a guy was posting on here the other day and they sent him axles with no holes!

Bronconut

If you have the tapered bearings then you need to remove the seal before putting the axle in. The tapered bearings get lube from the gear oil in the diff.

OP
OP
C

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
ok so the seal that i pressed on with the bearings and the retainer onto the axles will be the new seal? this makes sense.

73bronco

If you have the tapered bearings then you need to remove the seal before putting the axle in. The tapered bearings get lube from the gear oil in the diff.

That is exactly right. Just yank the old inner seal and install your new axles.

OP
OP
C

cams 76

Loc.
brookings
awsome i thougt it was going to be another week before i could drive it. this forum is great thanks alot