• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to get long coaxial cable?

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I have a stock antenna in which the coax has been cut. Since it needs replacing, it might as well get a longer one to reach the center console. Anyone ever replace their stock coax? Is it easy to find the right female end for the stock antenna? Is this a job for a CB supply place?
Thanks,
sb

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
You should have no problem finding coax. You should be able to get what you need at Radio Shack if you have a stock radio. Also and truck stop has coax as well as many on-line vendors. When you replace the coax, make sure you use a standard wave length. Otherwise your Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) will be off significantlly which will really hurt your ability to transmit and receive. Here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about SWR:

http://www.firestik.com/Meas-SWR.htm

As long as you get a standard length of cable (about 18') and tune it with an SWR meter after you replace the cable you will be fine. You can get a cheap meter at Radio Shack for $20 or less, or just take it by any truck stop vb shop after you get the cable replaced and they will tune it for you. When you buy a piece of coax in a package at Radio Shack or similar store, it normally is a standard length. If you were about 1000 miles closer, I would help you tune it up after you replace the cable, but I think a truck stop cb shop would do it for $10 or so, which is a lot less than the gas would cost you to make it down to me!
Good Luck

fastback

Loc.
Asheboro, NC
I bought a 14' radio antenna extension (part #AW-EC144) the other day at Auto Zone It had a female end on one side and a male on the other. I used it to extend my stock radio antenna for a center console intalled radio. Is that what you are looking for or an antenna for a CB Radio??

OP
OP
SeaBiscuit68

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
This is for a radio not a CB. Here's a pic to show the female connection. This connection is what concerns me. Maybe I don't need to be concerned but I've seen extensions before and they don't have the same female fitting. I'm wanting a longer one piece that fits the stock antenna connection. Is this easy, hard or impossible to find? Where to look? Certainly someone else has been there done that before me.

ResizeofP3030003.jpg

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
This is for a radio not a CB.

ResizeofP3030003.jpg

Wow, I seen your reference to the CB shop and assumed that you wanted a coax for a CB. You can get an extension for your regular radio at the auto parts store like was posted. They will have the correct ends to hook up on both ends.