• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What temp should a 302 run at? Relay switch?

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
My relay went out on my Fan. I was shopping for one, and saw they make ones from 165 to 220 degrees to come on. I was wondering what one to get.
Any certain brands you guys like?

Aluminum, Heads, intake, and rad. Holly 4bl.
Mostly road driving, might see a trail here and there.
Thanks Guys

jim02

Loc.
Denver area
i dont have a electric fan, but i have a 302.
my engine runs about 190 operating temp and the thermostat opens at 230 - according to my temp guage any how. I hope that heps you.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
are you talking electrically, or the thermostat for the coolant? I think most carbed engines have a 180* thermostat, while fuel injected are around 190. I run a 180* in my carbed 302, and it's good.. gets warmer when idling and no airflow, but nothing over 200*..... hope it helps...

PaulS

Loc.
Greater Seattle area
The optimal cylinder head temperature for water cooled gasoline engines is 200F. The thermostat should open at some point before that. The fan should com on at a point that will allow cooling at low speeds when there is no air moving through the radiator. I would say 180 or less.
Modern emission engines run hotter than 180 thermostats to keep the head temps up where they will run lean. If you have a performance engine or care more about HP and mileage than emissions and you need to know for sure then buy and mount a pyrometer on both heads. Adjust the thermostat to get your desired head temp.

OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
Hey thanks for all the help. Looks like 180 is the one for me. Well until i do my EFI swap, then i get to switch to a 190. Got to love the old money pit.;D
Thanks to all.:)