• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" oil drain

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
According to my owners manual I'm suppose to complete certain services after driving in deep water. If I'm suppose to change the oil in the rear end why didn't it come with a drain plug??:? I've tried to suck it out with a suction gun with no luck. Does this mean I have to pull the third member each time I cross the creek into my fishing hole? The water is up to the hood.:eek:

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I saw a post on adding a drain plug - you should do that the next time you have the 3rd member out.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Good question on that. If you end up putting in new gears or change the rear traction control drop the housing off at the machine shop and have them put a drain plug in for you. I got it done for $15.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Good question on that. If you end up putting in new gears or change the rear traction control drop the housing off at the machine shop and have them put a drain plug in for you. I got it done for $15.

Where do you put it where it is at the very bottom and won't get banged up on the rocks? If it's not on the bottom the water won't get out.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Mine is on the very bottom and has done fine through the rocks still but if I were to do it again I might try to put it just off to the side where it starts to curve up so that it still is basically at the bottom but wont get galled as easy, not sure if they can tap it there.

Lumpy

yah that sucks that ford stoped putting drains in the 9". I've seen some early 9" axles with drains. I just got a scully flange from the plumbing store and a rockwell pipe plug with a magnet from the truck shop. center punched it, hole sawed it, and welded it up in the same spot toyotas have theres.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Curries sells a weld in bung...I also added their fill port. It comes in real handy when adding oil. Pull the level plug then add oil from above until it comes out then button it up.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'm installing a drain plug today, using JGHFLYS method. I'm using a Russel's 1/4" drian plug wich was $5 at Checker and the tap was $10 at Lowes. I'm also going to install a 3/16"s skid plate on my 9" aswell.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
When we were building my 9" we added a drain plug,

Attachments

• 3 Going Together (1003).jpg
    3 Going Together (1003).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 108

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
here's mine, drilled tapped 1/8 pipe plug (silver plug in the center of the bottom of the housing). I tapped it deep enough so when it's tightened it's flush with the bottom of the diff. I'm not a serious wheeler so I didn't worry too much about scrapping it, but I suppose if you were you could use one of the differential guards. (Duff's below)

Attachments

• 5762-2T.jpg
    5762-2T.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Reardiff.jpg
    Reardiff.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 114

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I plan on eventually shaving my diff and adding a drain plug at the same time. I'll plate the bottom with at least 3/8" so I'll have enough thickness to put an allen head pipe plug into it so it will sit flush....

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Here's mine, aswell as my homemade 3/16ths skid plate. I think it turned out pretty good for my first fab job. Thanks 1sicbronconut for your help...

Attachments

• PICT5751.JPG
    PICT5751.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT5754.JPG
    PICT5754.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT5749.JPG
    PICT5749.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
here's mine, drilled tapped 1/8 pipe plug (silver plug in the center of the bottom of the housing). I tapped it deep enough so when it's tightened it's flush with the bottom of the diff. I'm not a serious wheeler so I didn't worry too much about scrapping it, but I suppose if you were you could use one of the differential guards. (Duff's below)

How thick is the bottom of the housing? Thick enough for a 1/4" plug?

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
ya know, I can't recall exactly how thick the bottom is, I know I had no problem getting enough threads for the 1/8 pipe, just went slow, tested the depth, cut a little more, etc. 1/4 inch pipe might not work as well without a bung of some sort.
If memory is correct I think it was about 1/4 inch thick where I drilled.