• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A little smoke

ocsoorlando

Loc.
Orlando
I was doing a little messin around under the hood and took the PCV Valve out while the engine was running and there was a little smoke coming out of the hole, a friend says it looks like I may be needing a valve job........is this correct?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't worry about it. That is what the PCV valve is there for. Takes the blowby gasses and burns them. As for the blowby, I generally find that is more of a problem with the rings then the valves. As long as it isn't drinking more oil then gas, put the PCV vavleback in and enjoy the ride.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
x2 - if anything it would be the rings. If its bothering you, you can try using a bottle of Restore during your next oil change - but you'll need a bottle each time you change your oil and at $8 a bottle it gets pretty expensive.

If its just a little smoke don't worry about it.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Heus is right, pick up an air freshener while your there for him too. ;D

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
If you have good compression its probably not a problem, some smokey looking gas is normall. That gas is why the fedral governmet required the PCV systems. It is almost pur carbon monoxide. I read that prior to 1964 crankcase ventilation gasses accounted for 90% of automobile pollution. Sounds high to me but thats why I remebered it.

It could be indicative of a problem but I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't have good compression, or if you have excessive oil usage.

OP
OP
ocsoorlando

ocsoorlando

Loc.
Orlando
okay, thankyou for the info, the compression must be good because it runs great and will get up and go when I give it the gas, unfortunately the gas gauge goes as fast with the four barrel the PO put on it. Anyone ever heard of a Demon carb, I checked the internet, looks like a racing carb