• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

windshield remounting

hose101

Contributor
the po had removed and done some work on the windshield. The windshield came out great but the lower mounting surface on the back of the dash is trashed. when he drilled out the spot welds he didnt just drill out the metal on the hinge he went all the way thru. now i have twenty some odd 3/8ish size holes on my mounting surface. What I am thinking of doing is cutting out the bottom mounting surface and replacing it with some 1/8 inch flat stock. I am pretty sure I can do this with little affect from the heat but what about the windshield now sitting 1/8 inch higher. Do you think it will be that big a deal when it comes to fitting the doors later. I am not gonna run a top just a safari so I dont think there will be issues with that. I just am hoping to get some good steel in there that I can drill and tap some mounting screws to. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. If a pic is needed let me know.

mango

Loc.
Sarasota, FL
I riveted a piece of aluminum angle to the mounting surface. Drill and tap the angle to attach your hinge. In my case, this is where I attached my frame. It might be tricky to rivet without hitting all the holes PO left you. You could make a pattern of the holes and transfer it to the angle for rivet location. I don't have doors, so allignment was not an issue.
First picture is mid fabrication. It shows the parts fairly well.
DSC01467.JPG

Powder coat finish.
DSC01969.JPG

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
the po had removed and done some work on the windshield. The windshield came out great but the lower mounting surface on the back of the dash is trashed. when he drilled out the spot welds he didnt just drill out the metal on the hinge he went all the way thru. now i have twenty some odd 3/8ish size holes on my mounting surface. What I am thinking of doing is cutting out the bottom mounting surface and replacing it with some 1/8 inch flat stock. I am pretty sure I can do this with little affect from the heat but what about the windshield now sitting 1/8 inch higher. Do you think it will be that big a deal when it comes to fitting the doors later. I am not gonna run a top just a safari so I dont think there will be issues with that. I just am hoping to get some good steel in there that I can drill and tap some mounting screws to. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. If a pic is needed let me know.

I had tons of holes in one of mine too that was replaced poorly. I just welded up the holes and then ground it smooth before welding the new hinge in. Some use a block of copper I think it is to back the weld so you can puddle it up well. I just built out from the edge and was fine since the underside wouldnt be seen.

Hey Mango, thats a sweet setup! One think I always liked was cruising the trails with the windshield down, your setup would make it even easier!

OP
OP
hose101

hose101

Contributor
thanks for the ideas. I love that windshield idea.

mango

Loc.
Sarasota, FL
Its all good up to 40mph. Then large bugs start to really hurt, and the fear of catching a launched cigarette butt takes over.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
as tito said, plug weld up the holes and carry on. a chunk of alum will work as well if you don't have any copper, bronze...
you'd have to weld that piece of .125 in solid or it will still leak. fix it right the first time and be done with it.