• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

203 205 doubler Q's

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright, I will be installing a doubler setup real soon and need to decide what I can do for clocking of the 203 and 205. I need to figure out the clocking so I can tell them over at Jed's for when they make my adapter plate.

I am currently running a 1" BL and really dont want to go any higher. I will be redrilling my 203 so I can turn it however I want but really not sure where it will fit in there as I havent taken the other stuff out yet. Also how much can the 205 be clocked up inside the frame rails or will it run into the body before then?

Also will the 1 crossmember I will make that bolts up to the adapter plate between the 203 and 205 be sufficient?

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I got mine clocked to where the bottom of both units are the same. You may clock it higher but it may hit the framerail in normal mounting/alignment. Another thing is the the bigger yokes coming out of the front of the 205 is in question.

You got the NP435 so it may not be a problem. The automatic oilpans seems to have clearance issues.

Jed's sent my adaptors in 2 so that I could weld it here. Funny how it's still on my garage floor. %)

Also I plan to set it up with 2 crossmembers with poly bushings. When assembled, that animal is HEAVY.

Attachments

• DSC00342.JPG
    DSC00342.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00344.JPG
    DSC00344.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00346.JPG
    DSC00346.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am actually putting them behind a 3550 5 speed. Maybe I should have him send them unwelded too.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Look at mads third picture. See how close it is to the frame. you can only clock it up to about 2'' above the frame before the side of the case rotates into the frame. No problem to get the bottom higher than the radius arm mount. Here is a few pictures with and AOD with no clocking ring

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010013_3.JPG
    P1010013_3.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Bax, thats in standard position? If it is above the radius arm mounts then that works for me, I have a ton of clearance under the Bronco and plan to make the crossmember into a skid as well. I think my 1" BL isnt going to allow for any real rotation anyways.

Bax, I like that upper poly mount, I'll have to do that if I decide to pull the body up.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
If you relocate your emegerency brake mount you can get it this high. Its a low part on the frame. you will be tight with a one inch lift. I have lots of room.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Haha, did you say e-brake ;D ;D Thats the rock I pick up on the side of the trail :-X
Well I have plenty of room lengthwise ;D

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
No BL and the lower right corner of the driver floorpan (close to the trans tunnel) will need to be notched...
crawln68 has a pic of his posted somewhere..

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
203/205 doubler

I would love to do this but I don't think I have enough room behind the ZF and still get a reasonable rear driveline in there?

I know of one guy that did it but had to lower the engine and still tilt it back quite a bit to get the angle right. A doubler with that ZF granny gear would be fun though :D

Ben

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am pretty stoked about having a 5 speed with overdrive along with the doubler. Maybe with this I wont have to have a 4 foot plus rear driveline ;D ;D ;D
I guess I could have done the zf but I had the 3550 and wanted a fun shifting tranny for around town. It really isnt a dedicated trail rig, I trailer cause of my gearing and its nice to have a trailer if me or someone else breaks! And I have a little bit of death wobble still too ;D

I swapped my blown Detroit from the front (put in an Aussie) for an ARB to replace the spool in the rear so that will be a big help, and I will also make some better outboard shock setup for the rear as well to reduce the body roll. Picked up some 37" MTR's for the street for $100 too ;D ;D I will still wheel it fairly hard but I am going to be limited to Pinky and the Beast until we get some property and want a Bronco I can drive the family in (should be happening on the next 3 years - in-laws have 10 acres that we are going to sub-divide).

I will have to look for pics of Patrick's setup. Then it will be on to figuring out the shifters for it.

Fugly

Loc.
Las Vegas
Hey Tito here is the link to my doubler pix. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98003
As said before it is a heavy SOB. I have the NWF adapter. I finally took it out this weekend and loved how it performed with the C6. It is a PITA to shift the transfer cases. If I were to do it again I would twin stick the 205. I didn't before because I was still running the 44 up front when we installed the doubler. Now that I have the 60 it is tempting, but the thought of taking that doubler out from underneath access only is giving me nightmares.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hey Tito here is the link to my doubler pix. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98003
As said before it is a heavy SOB. I have the NWF adapter. I finally took it out this weekend and loved how it performed with the C6. It is a PITA to shift the transfer cases. If I were to do it again I would twin stick the 205. I didn't before because I was still running the 44 up front when we installed the doubler. Now that I have the 60 it is tempting, but the thought of taking that doubler out from underneath access only is giving me nightmares.

Haha, I know. I just think of the wieight as helping to keep my COG low ;D
I plan to twin stick the 205, actually I need to either get some ideas on building my own or order a setup.

Fugly

Loc.
Las Vegas
You seem pretty talented, build your own!!;D The already made ones need some tweaking, extra bracing, and are spendy. NWF just came out with a cable shift setup, but there still isn't a lot of room for linkage between the two cases. Maybe it is just the way I have mine set up but regardless, it's still a PITA.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
You seem pretty talented, build your own!!;D The already made ones need some tweaking, extra bracing, and are spendy. NWF just came out with a cable shift setup, but there still isn't a lot of room for linkage between the two cases. Maybe it is just the way I have mine set up but regardless, it's still a PITA.

I was drooling over that triple cable shift setup. That would be sweet! I have a spare frame on the side yard that I may mock everything up on. I will probably be throwing in the explorer 5.0 that I picked up at the same time so I may set it all in there and see.

Anyone have issues with clearance on with the cage arms or brackets or heim bolt with the doubler? I have the newer brackets that are a lot bigger. I welded mine on but still have a couple bolts in still I know my exhaust has to come out but then again it is just hangin there anyways ;D ;D

Fugly

Loc.
Las Vegas
That's a sweet set up but its also part way to chromos for the 60;D I saw the new cage frame mounts and I wish I had them! How come your going to mock everything up just to change it over to another frame? Or did I miss the boat to "Titoland" on that one?

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
That's a sweet set up but its also part way to chromos for the 60;D I saw the new cage frame mounts and I wish I had them! How come your going to mock everything up just to change it over to another frame? Or did I miss the boat to "Titoland" on that one?

Haha, no boat missed, just would be nice to figure it all out with no body in the way, nothing welded just semi-mounted to make a boltable crossmember, etc.
I figure I will have to put the axles on the ground (tires off) anyways to get the engine and tranny in, then back on to get the transfer cases in ;D

Fugly

Loc.
Las Vegas
Haha, no boat missed, just would be nice to figure it all out with no body in the way, nothing welded just semi-mounted to make a boltable crossmember, etc.
I figure I will have to put the axles on the ground (tires off) anyways to get the engine and tranny in, then back on to get the transfer cases in ;D

Aww, the body is on the one this is going into. Have fun, get a stout tranny jack and about 4 buddys. If it starts to fall off the jack get out of the way and let it break the concrete floor instead of someones head. Trying to stop it from falling completly would be like trying to stop a redwood from falling once it was going.;D

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
Man, I'm about to buy an adapter and can't figure out which one to get.
So have most people gone with the 2" clocked versions?