• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb 2bbl or 4bbl ?

MustangHowie

Loc.
Shelley, ID
My Bronco has been sitting for a few years. I recently got it started and pulled it around to the front of the house so I can work on it. It is running rough so I checked the plugs, they are good. The distributor had some corosion so I cleaned it up. Still runs rough.

I pulled the Motorcraft 2bbl carb off and that seems to be the problem. Bad gaskets and a blown power valve.

Should I rebuild the 2bbl or just change it out to a 4bbl?

I plan on rebuilding the engine soon, but I want to get it running for now and fix a few other problems first. Besides I haven't drove it for a while and I would like to drive a bit before the rebuild.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
just rebuild the 2v. They're good little carbs. and if you're going to rebuild anyways, why spend the money on an extra intake gasket set?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I would agree on rebuilding the 2bbl. Try it out, if not happy, go to a 4bbl later...

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D It is going to be what do you want. Me I have been a 4V person for over 40+ years and not going back I love the kick when the back opens its a rush. Good luck with your choice.;D ;D ;D Bill ;D :D :cool:

OP
OP
MustangHowie

MustangHowie

Loc.
Shelley, ID
I think I will rebuild the 2bbl for now and I can change to a 4bbl when I rebuild the engine. Carb kit for the 2bbl is cheap anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you are going to run a 4V on your engine when you rebuild then a swap now will bring the cost down a little. Plus you will have time to tune it in.

broncobilly_69

Loc.
Lebanon
are the intake gaskets you'll waste during the rebuild by going to a 4v now more or less $ than the the rebuild kit for the 2v. If not I would go with the 4v now.

OP
OP
MustangHowie

MustangHowie

Loc.
Shelley, ID
I rebuilt the 2bbl and got it started. I warmed it up for a while and just as it smoothed out I ran out of gas again ( story in a previous post ). I will put some more gas in it tonight.

It is not registered or insured right now or I would just go fill it up.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yowee!!~!!!
I put on an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and an Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 barrel onto my stock 302 with dual exhaust. What a difference! I might get better mileage if I could only stay out of the secondaries but who cares! It's sounds and runs so great!