• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cold feet on 5.5"s

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
i already have my 5.5" cage system and am just getting around to installing it. in the process, I am stretching the rig front and rear. i was going to reuse the stock coil buckets and possible move them up until i ran across these:

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Adjustable-coil-buckets_p_32-1183.html

i measured my cage coils and they are somewhere around 5.375 in diameter so they seem like they would have no problem mating up. with their adjust ability, i can always move them up if i decide that 5.5"s is too much. for the rear, since i plan on mounting my leaf hangers in the stock configuration, then i could use a longer shackle as a band aid to level the rig.

for what it is worth, 38" creepy crawlers are the flavor de jour...

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
question, I have the Cage 3.5 coils, arms, and shock, WH 11 pak leaf, if I went to Cage 5.5 coils would I have to change the leafs, arms etc?

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
question, I have the Cage 3.5 coils, arms, and shock, WH 11 pak leaf, if I went to Cage 5.5 coils would I have to change the leafs, arms etc?

To go from 3.5 to 5.5 coils you would need to change the leafs or add a 2inch block in order to level it out. The arms should be fine but you will need to change the shocks..

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Since you are stretching the front. You'll need to remove the stock coil buckets anyway.
Why not just reuse them? You could tack weld it strong in place until you decide what lift you want.

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
here is what I did....reuse your old stuff, save as much cash as possible. The spacer is to allow for my Full Width Axles.

avequip335.jpg

avequip336.jpg

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
Since you are stretching the front. You'll need to remove the stock coil buckets anyway.
Why not just reuse them? You could tack weld it strong in place until you decide what lift you want.

I could, and that is a prudent and fiscally wise idea. My hang up with that is 3 fold:

-I am not a skilled welder and I will be having a mobile welder come to do the work for me---more than one trip can run costs up.
-I have this "do it nice, or do it twice" mentality. Since I am hacking off a 30 year old piece of hardware, why not replace them w/ something new?
-Adjust ability just kind of makes sense, don't you think?

In all honesty, I was eyeballing some replace units either from Jeff's or Duff's before I came across these ones.

Does it make sense to want keep the longer coils and mount them higher from a flex standpoint?

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
I could, and that is a prudent and fiscally wise idea. My hang up with that is 3 fold:

-I am not a skilled welder and I will be having a mobile welder come to do the work for me---more than one trip can run costs up.
-I have this "do it nice, or do it twice" mentality. Since I am hacking off a 30 year old piece of hardware, why not replace them w/ something new?
-Adjust ability just kind of makes sense, don't you think?

In all honesty, I was eyeballing some replace units either from Jeff's or Duff's.

Does it make sense to want keep the longer coils and mount them higher from a flex standpoint?

Throw it on a trailer and bring it up to me, Ill weld it for FREE=Beer. ;D One you set it where you want it, I doubt you would even adjust those ever again.

Rockrawl

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I don't have any info about using these particular buckets...but I can vouch for Ballistic Fab. They are in Tucson and are a very standup group of guys and always have a top notch product!

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
wait a minute, i think i hijacked my own thread here. my original questions revolved around using 5.5" coils in buckets that were moved up and 5.5" leaf springs with longer shackles to net a 3.5" lift... am i going down a bad path or should i carry on?

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I don't have any info about using these particular buckets...but I can vouch for Ballistic Fab. They are in Tucson and are a very standup group of guys and always have a top notch product!

I agree Ballistic Fab has some good products..

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
Ok, I'm slow sometimes....what am I missing? The buckets appear to be adjustable. You could adjust them based on your needs, right.....

It's been a long day, so I may be missing the obvious!%)

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I wish I could adjust my towers to lower my front an inch or so...

I like the idea, go with it! Only problem is I think you will still need to weld something together for the upper coil to attach to.