• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PS pump fitting

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Does the fitting come out off of the stock power steering pump?
I tried but didnt want to break anything.

Any idea what type of fitting is on the pump?

I am trying to track down the correct AN fitting.
I have a 5/8 inverted flare fitting but I do not have a way to connect it to the standard flare fitting on the back of the pump.

MADHATTER

Flare. Almost all auto fittings are flare. Most likely you have a female flare fitting. Use a flare nut wrench to remove the fitting. If its really ignorant, a small.... teeny weenie baby size... pipe wrench with a helper might be needed. Make you life simple... keep it stock.
Here the difference between stock and braided with AN fittings. When your stock PS high pressure hose blows you can always rig it up with hose clamps and get back to safety, and get a new line at the parts store. When your AN line blows out in the middle of nowhere you are totally screwed!

Those things are to be used when building racing cars whose components come with AN fittings so you have to use them

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
So, here is a little help for you
I am going to assume you are using a Saginaw pump if not let me know.

Does the fitting come out off of the stock power steering pump?
On a Saginaw pump yes it does, this is the control valve of the pump, takes a inch and a sixteenth wrench to get it off.
I tried but didnt want to break anything.
Good idea pumps are expensive.
Any idea what type of fitting is on the pump?
It is a 3/8 inverted flare on the earlier pumps and a bubble flare on the newer pumps, don't remember this size as I don't use the bubble flare pump
I am trying to track down the correct AN fitting.
with a proper adapter I believe it is a AN6, ask MadGyver he knows this one.
I have a 5/8 inverted flare fitting but I do not have a way to connect it to the standard flare fitting on the back of the pump.
You have a 5/8 fitting on a 3/8 line I know, mine is the same. The standard 3/8 flare nut will thread into the back of a Saginaw inverted flare pump quite easily. Send a picture And i can be more accurate with your setup.TOFIC

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Install finished!

Thanks for the information

I brought my hose with the AN fitting to a hose shop. He basically swapped the end out for a standard 3/8 flare fitting. It worked fine. I guess I made a big deal out of it for nothing.

While we are on the subject......
I started the truck tonight and tried the brakes and steering.

It's still on jack stand so I have no idea if there are issues but I am expecting a few. I still have the stock pump and a used astro MC.

I attached a few pics of the finished product.

Attachments

• P1010080.jpg
    P1010080.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010082.jpg
    P1010082.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the link.
I actually set it up that way beacuse I read the pedal would return slowy.

I will make the swap and give it a try.

dmargnut

Loc.
Santa Fe, NM
Hey kaw550, I'm doing a very similar setup and was wondering about your connections to the hydroboost. Did you use adapters on your hydroboost to go with AN fittings or are they standard fittings? Couldn't really tell from the photos. I'm planning to use the Sag pump for dual returns to eliminate the tee's. Good luck, looking good though.

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I bought a kit from another member.

Each end of the hose had a 90' AN fitting.
It came with two metric o-ring adapters for the booster, A 11/16 inverted flare for the box and a 5/8 inverted flare for a saginaw pump.

Because I was going to start off wth the stock pump I swaped out one of the AN fittings for a 90' 3/8 flare fitting that connected right to the box.

Let me know if you need any better pictures.