• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Install Hits Massive SNAG

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
Guys -

Almost Finished Installing the EFI Harness from "MR Know it All" and got to the step Where I have to find Top Dead Center (TDC). The engine does not have power yet so I have to rotate it manually.

No Go.

It's a 1999 Ford Explorer Engine and I mounted a 4R70W to it BEFORE dropping it in. The AOD Trans was out of a Mercury Mountaineer.

Manually tried to juice up the starter with a Jump Pack. No movement in the flywheel or the Motor. Sound told me, "Im trying", but its jammed solid.

This is a good Motor. The Expedition only had 61,000 miles on it and it was T-Boned. The Engine turned on the stand like a mob rat. Now Nothing.

I marked the bolt on the crank and The Bolt moves when I put a breaker bar on it, but just the bolt. I don't want to test it to much because I'm afraid Ill bust it. Big no-no.

Attachments

• hell slice.jpg
    hell slice.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 116

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pull the spark plugs to make sure that no fluids have crept into the cylinders. Shouldn't have, but you never know and that sure would give you the symptoms you describe.
It it was a manual I'd say put it in neutral, but since it's an auto, it shouldn't be locked up even in park.

Good luck

Paul

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
So it turned on the stand but not after you bolted the tranny up? Sounds like there might be some TC binding or something...... How easiy did it go together? Did you have to pull it together with the bolts or did it slide als the way together?

OP
OP
spatacuulous

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
It mated up really smooth like Brad and Angelina. Did NOT have to use the bolts to pull her snug. I should mention the NP205 is still on the garage floor, so that's a non-issue.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You used a jump pack, probably just snapping the jumper cables on the terminals. Try hooking up the battery with real cables bolted at the ends and a solenoid (if not built into the starter) and try again. I have tried that jumper cable starter trick before, I generally find it is only good for spinning over starters that are off the engine.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Try pulling the plugs and cranking the crankshaft by hand with a socket and wrench, just to be sure there is no binding. I't easier to "hit" TDC this way anyway.

OP
OP
spatacuulous

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
I'm not sure what gear it's in becuase Im not familiar with the shifting mechanism on the 4R70W. Would it matter if it was in gear or not? Maybe that's the issue??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm not sure what gear it's in becuase Im not familiar with the shifting mechanism on the 4R70W. Would it matter if it was in gear or not? Maybe that's the issue??

Looking at the transmission, turn the lever clockwise. The last detent will feel a little different then the others, that is when it goes into park. Also the output shaft will lock up.

After that, it won't make any difference in the ability for the engine to crank over. Have you tried it with solid battery connections instead of jumper cable clips yet? That usually has a huge influence.

OP
OP
spatacuulous

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
Just got it to move! I loosened the bolts holding the Trans to the Block and she moved with great ease. What should that tell me? Obviously something is binding in there. Could I have used the wrong bolts on the torque converter. It's not the starter b/c I removed that first and tried it.

Check the pics. Thanks a lot guys. I feel better already.

Attachments

• smaller.jpg
    smaller.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 54
  • smaller1024.jpg
    smaller1024.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 50

behemoth

Bronco Guru
The torque converter has a drain plug on it that needs to fit through an oval hole in the flex plate. The torque converter also needs to go into the pump all the way, I do not remember how many times I turned the torque converter while inserting it into the transmission at least twice. I believe this aligns the splines on the shafts with the torque converter.

Is there any bushing or anything in the back of the crank that could be keeping the torque converter from seating.

I use longer bolts with the heads cut off installed in the block to support the transmission while aligning the torque converter. Vice grips keep it from sliding off if it tilts to much.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Is the the original 5.0L block plate? I see it's also been torched. sometimes there are contours that don't match up with the flexplate. Tighten down the bellhousing bolts a little, then turn the motor over and see if you hear the flexplate dragging on it. The flexplate appears to be installed the correct direction.

OP
OP
spatacuulous

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
They torched the flex plate at the junk yard. And yes, it does drag on the flexplate when I tighten it down a bit. Do I need that flexplate??

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Sounds like that might be your problem. Yes you do need it. Without it, there is sometimes not enough clearance for the torque convertor or cluctch. Also your starter needs it for proper alignment.

mr.n

Just got it to move! I loosened the bolts holding the Trans to the Block and she moved with great ease. What should that tell me? Obviously something is binding in there. Could I have used the wrong bolts on the torque converter. It's not the starter b/c I removed that first and tried it.

I'd guess you didn't engage your torque converter all the way.

Not sure for yours, but the C4 has 3 bumps when you push in the torque converter. It's not uncommon to only engage 2 and trash the tranny. Find an AOD guy and ask them about the issue.
I'd guess your taking the tranny off to double check the TQ engagement.

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN

Doublecheck the endplay (movement back and forth on the axis) of the torque converter in and out of the case. Should be about 1/4". This burned me once on a C4. Not enough and your binding the TC into the trans stator.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I'd guess you didn't engage your torque converter all the way.

Not sure for yours, but the C4 has 3 bumps when you push in the torque converter. It's not uncommon to only engage 2 and trash the tranny. Find an AOD guy and ask them about the issue.
I'd guess your taking the tranny off to double check the TQ engagement.

X2, the first time I installed a C4 I fought with it for a while before I figured out the the torque converter wasnt all the way into the tranny.