• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.5" lift - does this look right?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Trying to decide between a 3.5 and 5.5 lift. The truck came with a 3" body lift. Jacked up the bumper 3.5" as measured by the bottom of the fender flare and was really surprised at how big 3.5" was. Does this look right? Does 3.5" really mean exactly 3.5"? There's damn near a foot of space between the top of my 35" BFG and the fender flare. Now i need bigger tires cuz that looks funny! I guess 5.5" is out I'm not trying to build the empire state building on wheels.

before
261804541_Dzu5B-S.jpg

after
261804546_hyvzf-S.jpg

BlackHorse

Drop that rear bumper about 1" and then you will have what a 3.5 will look like. You can raise the front 3.5 at the same time if you want to get the full picture.

Big_chuck73

Loc.
San Marcos, Texas
I put a 5.5" on, I like it, but there are alot of changes you have do to make it all work: Driveshafts, steering, brake lines, lots of adjustments. I've done a 3.5" before, usually a quick and easy install.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I am running 35s with no body lift. My fender cutouts are really big, and I touch when I'm really twisted, but with a one inch body lift it wouldn't hit at all. Personally I'd keep the 3.5 and drop the body lift down to one or 2 inches.
Tom

welndmn

Bronco Guru
If you already have a 3 inch body lift, go with a 3.5 inch lift.
5.5 inch lift and 3 inch body is REALLLY tall. I know, I had one.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
measure from the top of the front axle to the bottom of the frame. Stock is 7" so 3.5" should be very close top 10.5"

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
I voted for a 3.5" suspension lift and 2" Body lift when we rebuilt.
Problems with 5.5" (on top of a body lift):
-Gets squirlley on the road at speed if you have to put it down hard
-Handling on tight turns at speed
-DW/other ladies will not be happy having to climb in that high up, you will never see her in an EB with a skirt.....

A body lift is beneficial since it gives you more wheel well room for upper travel.

GOOD LUC!!

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
thanks guys, yeah i think it's gonna be 3.5" It doesn't look like much in the picture but from what I'm used to it looks monstrous. I can't imagine 5.5 and I wont be going full width anytime soon.