• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost/ram assist?

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Anyone running a hydro boost setup along with a ram assist? I've found a great deal on a hydro setup but I'm getting ready to install a ram assist and was wondering if the hydro boost would hamper the ram any? I'm running a saginaw housing with an AGR pump that has had the pressure bumped up a little.

Thanks, Anthony.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I am wondering the same thing, as I have toyed with adding hydroboost to my already ram assist

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hydroboost is parasitic..uses pressure off the system but barely any flow at all..an imperceptible amount.

That said..ram assist often benefits from - even requires, if the ram is large - fmods to the hboost unit that allow higher 'through-flow' while still functioning properly. I don't know how that mod is done..the folks that know how to do are pretty cagey about releasing any details.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I have ram assist and would like to add hydro boost some day. I know West Texas off-road has a tech article on modifying your Saginaw PS pump to put out more pressure.

bludorbronc

It is my understanding that the hydro boost by passes the fluid until brakes are applied, so it is not blocking the flow and the steering has full use. You can t into the return line having the steering box go straight thru the t and hydro into the side opening. If you look at the return line fitting on the hydro boost it's only about a 16th inch opening.

OP
OP
thumping

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Thanks guys. So if I understand correctly, the hydro really only needs to see pressure and not that much flow. With that, could I just add a couple of tees off the cooler supply and return lines? Sounds simple enough or is there an underlining problem with that? The ram will be plumbed with it’s own lines.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
running a hydroboost off a High Pressure line that has a cooler on it is NOT a good idea . Hydroboost does not like coolers for some reason. As to the ram assist and hydroboost I know of noone that has had any problems. I do know how to boost flow and pressure on a saginaw pump and flow through a hydroboost but do not recommend you do them and you probably will not need to
TOFIC

OX1

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. So if I understand correctly, the hydro really only needs to see pressure and not that much flow. With that, could I just add a couple of tees off the cooler supply and return lines? Sounds simple enough or is there an underlining problem with that? The ram will be plumbed with it’s own lines.

If your talking just teeing the line off the pressure port on the pump, then I think you may get variable brake pressure when you steer (if the pressure changes/drops??) just from steering. If that wasn't a problem, the factory hydroboost setups would have just teed off instead of forcing the fluid through the HB first. I've thought of using a flow diverter such as this.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007041909554644&item=9-5024-50&catname=hydraulic

Priority would go to the brakes and whats left to the steering box. It is based on flow, not pressure, but assume it is some pressure relief that opens to allow flow to the secondary port??

OX1

Bronco Guru
As to the ram assist and hydroboost I know of noone that has had any problems.

How many do you know who have done it and what was their setup?? (which HB, what size ram, which box, etc...).

I was looking to do HB and full hydro steering and could not find anyone on pirates that has had success without paying big bucks for the ported HB. I decided to just go manual brakes since it will never see the street.

Would still like to hear/see positive experiences with either hydro assist or full hydro and HB brakes.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Two or three guys on this site have done the HB and Ram setup on their rigs. I seems to me it was the setup from West Texas they were using. As to that information that is all I have heard. Perhaps one of these guys can fill us in on his experiences with the two setups.
TOFIC

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
hydroboost is parasitic..uses pressure off the system but barely any flow at all..an imperceptible amount.

That said..ram assist often benefits from - even requires, if the ram is large - fmods to the hboost unit that allow higher 'through-flow' while still functioning properly. I don't know how that mod is done..the folks that know how to do are pretty cagey about releasing any details.
You mean a procedure like this?...

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Two or three guys on this site have done the HB and Ram setup on their rigs. I seems to me it was the setup from West Texas they were using. As to that information that is all I have heard. Perhaps one of these guys can fill us in on his experiences with the two setups.
TOFIC

Patrick (Crawlin68) is one who has Hboost and Ram assist (almost positive).

OP
OP
thumping

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
A procedure zachary like that, yes. Thanks for the link.;D

Yep, I've already bumped up the pressure and the stock valve from the AGR pump was already a larger diameter than the drill bit Matt recommends so flow should not a problem. As with the link, be careful on how much you do at one time. After I bumped the pressure up I had to go back and replace the pressure line :eek: It did make a huge improvement in the ability to turn the wheels with the front axle locked up.

I'll give Patrick a shout about his setup and see what he recommends.

Thanks guys.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I want to do the same thing but have the Explorer serp. set-up. I just sold my sag pump since I couldn't figure a bracket to make it work, but still looking for ideas to stop 40's effectively.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Patrick (Crawlin68) is one who has Hboost and Ram assist (almost positive).

Yes. I am running a 78 Lincoln Continental hydroboost unit in it's stock form(no modifications) and a ram assist from Red Neck and an off the shelf stock saginaw pump. If I have my tires aired way down up on the rocks and step on the brakes pretty hard while steering, the steering does slow down a bit. (Engine idling) The brakes takes what they require and the steering gets what's left of the flow. I installed this same set up on my buddies Bronco except he had his pump juiced up by someone (can't remember who did it for him) anyway, he has no problems at all. So high think with a high flow pump I would be just fine. I just need to get off my lazy butt and pull the pump to send it off to be pumped up. ;D

OX1

Bronco Guru
Yes. I am running a 78 Lincoln Continental hydroboost unit in it's stock form(no modifications) and a ram assist from Red Neck and an off the shelf stock saginaw pump. If I have my tires aired way down up on the rocks and step on the brakes pretty hard while steering, the steering does slow down a bit. (Engine idling) The brakes takes what they require and the steering gets what's left of the flow. I installed this same set up on my buddies Bronco except he had his pump juiced up by someone (can't remember who did it for him) anyway, he has no problems at all. So high think with a high flow pump I would be just fine. I just need to get off my lazy butt and pull the pump to send it off to be pumped up. ;D

What size/travel ram is that 68?

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
i've been running hydro boost/assist on my bronco for over 2 years now. i have no complaint directly regarding the steering being slow. my steering was slow due to my 2" bored ram (from tractor supply) before i put my h-boost on. i have seen no ill effects and LOVE the extra power the h-boost gives! its incredible!

-cutts-

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Great responses guys - recently picked up a boost unit out of a Astro and I'm planning on purchasing the state II kit from WestTexas (Redneck Ram) and having them build me a 4x4x2 box at the time of the rebuild. If that is what you guys are running I hope I have the same end results... Not looking forward to the triple digit bill of having the boost unit ported for flow.