• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

another stupid question

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
where is all of this gear fluid coming from!!! I wrecked my rear axle seals on my small bearing 9 and they are leaking a lot but when I check the fluid level on the third member it is fine? I bet I am about to feel real dumb when somebody answers this.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Could it be brake fluid?? If it is gear oil it only takes a little to look like alot. Or if it was filled above the fill hole it may leak until it gets below the axle tube.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
nah dude I thought I lost a wheel cylinder at first too but nothing smells like gear oil, I just want to know it it all gets filled from the third member.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
yes it gets filled from the third member. A little gear oil goes a long way. Properly filled the gear oil also goes into the axle tubes, so there is actually quite a bit in there.
Tom

Revelation

Bronco Guru
That it does. Depending on the angle of the rear, the gear oil may be higher than the axle tube

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
ok then thanks guys I will just have to jack up the front and put in as much as possible.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I would replace the seals. Oil on the brake shoes = no stoppie. Might have to replace the shoes too if they got too much oil on them.

Jacking up the front wont allow you to get much more oil in there and is probably not worth the effort. Just fill it as is stands.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you overfill the rear end it can leak out of the seals. The gear oil level is below the seals when it's on flat ground. If you drive on a steep angle it's usually not long enough to get past the seal. If it's a real problem you sometimes can put in a second seal.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
If you overfill the rear end it can leak out of the seals. The gear oil level is below the seals when it's on flat ground. If you drive on a steep angle it's usually not long enough to get past the seal. If it's a real problem you sometimes can put in a second seal.

I remember this discussion before, but I still don't agree. Take foy instance my front axle (High Pinion Dana 44). Same style of seal, single wiper with a spring on the inside, oil level has to be above the axles to keep the pinion properly lubed. Front T-case output shaft seal, same style seal, always submerged. No Leaks..... From a design standpoint it would make no sence to spec a seal that leaks if under the oil level.......

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
thats what I thought anyways I was going to replace the seal but I really don't care anymore and I'll just get a dana 60 out of the junk yard next moth and work on that instead.