• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhausted about Exhaust!

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
Trying to decide on my exhaust....I'm getting tired of all the options and need to pull the trigger! I run the 302 with 351 heads and long tube Duff's headers. I had the Duff's dual exhaust but it was too loud for me. I'm considering the 2-into-1 route and using the BC Bronco's Magnaflow muffler. Anybody run long tube headers into this muffler? How loud is it? Looking for a decent rumble but not as loud as the Duff duals.
Thanks for your help!

broncobilly_69

Loc.
Lebanon
I have 2 into 1. 2" into a 24" magnaflow out with a 2.5" I'm running stock manifolds though. I really like the sound, nice rumble but not too loud. I also have a 302 with windsor heads.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Can't give specific info about the magnaflow muffler but can tell you my experiance with duals vs. 2 into1 with the long tubes
I'm running well built 11:1 nasty cammed 351 and had a 2 into 1 set up with duff long tubes and it was loud. I swapped to the BC header since my long tubes were the old style duffs and wouldn't clear my Cage extended radius arm. When I went to the the BC header is was alot quieter than with the long tubes the only thing I changed was the header and used the same muffler and tail section.
The long tubes seem to put out more sound due to there over all length. Before the 2 into 1 set up I was running duals off of the long tubes with flowmasters and is was quieter with the duals than it was with the 2 into 1 single. Keep in mind you'll be putting 2x the amount of sound/exhaust into one muffler with the 2 into 1.

Here are a few pics and you can check the link below for more detailed info

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59099

Attachments

• Front Welded lr.jpg
    Front Welded lr.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Tail3.jpg
    Tail3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 26
  • SpintechSS3.jpg
    SpintechSS3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 20
  • SpintechSSP1.jpg
    SpintechSSP1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Exit2.jpg
    Exit2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 33

srobinson79

Loc.
El Paso
My bronco had an old dual system on it with glasspacks and I went to BC's 2-1 system with the Magnaflow. It sounds very smooth and nice. I love how smooth it is on the freeway. It was "easy" to install, but I think I may need some adjustments as I am getting some interference with my driveshaft. Good Luck!

OP
OP
doghauler

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
Thanks for all the input. Looks like the best way to run unless I go to shorties (which I don't really want to hassle with swapping headers) is to run duals all the way back and get a couple decent mufflers. (Been looking at Magnaflow). I also read a crossover (X or H) will help quiet it down a bit. I love the old school sound of duals all the way back, it's the obnoxious bark I get during acceleration that I don't want.
Still thinking…..anymore experience/comments greatly appreciated.

ShortBus

I have the dual Magnaflow and I don't like them much. They seam to be loud all the time. When I step on the gas, it blows by the muffler and opens up. Great for drag racing, but now that I know the new motor works, I am going to quiet the thing up with the most restrictive things I can find. I am running headman headers to 2-1/2 " pipes. I don't have carpet or anything so that could be a big part of the noise problem. It is just loud all the time. :(

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have 2 trucks at work. One has the magnaflow muffler. It is loud, rasp and obnoxous. But we wanted it to make noise.
The other we hacked together real fast. Threw on a pair of glasspack resonators, nothing else. Those have a nice tone to them and are quieter then the magnaflow.

In reality there are too many variables. Some cancel each other out, some override others and some cause others to do the inverse of what they normally do.

I am willing to say that a single magnaflow will be about the same as the duff exhaust you have now. It will probably sound different though.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I'm running dual exhaust with the cheap flowmasters from summit. They got old really quick. I wish I would have gotten something mellower. The volume isn't bad, but I hate the tone. Oh well, next time!

TonyPDX

I certainly prefer the 2 into 1 set up. I am running the Duff long tubes with a custom 2 into 1 Magnaflow set up. I ran with out a tail pipe for a short period of time and it drove me nuts but once I had a full tail pipe installed it got much quieter. A smaller diameter and/or longer tail pipe will quite things down allot.

Tony