• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

F-150 Springs on EB??

basher13

Loc.
East of Renton
So the guy I got my FW axles from is thinking about putting his springs from the truck on to his bronco. I know that the springs are new and are Deaver, not sure of the lift. Rear springs are longer and the fronts are pretty stinckin tall, what do you guys think?

Checked Deavers web site to find part #'s, nothing matches up.
This is a case of switching gears mid project and wanting to use what he can from the original.
Either way let me know what you think

ohpoo2

Contributor
Can use the front coil springs if it is a 79 or older.

kntr

Bronco Guru
Back in the old days thats what everyone used.

TM Toys

Loc.
Barboursville , VA
" the good old days" I wheeled a 78 F150 for over 10yrs..
My 68 has p/u coils on it now "PO installed" . I'm taken em' off soon and going w/ EB 5.5" flex coils..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if they're already "lifted" springs from Deaver, no telling how much actual lift they'll give the Bronco until you try (or if someone else had tried that spring too).
The rears would be cool of course, but you'll have to not only move the mounting hangers but use wider ones from a pickup too. The '76 might have used narrower springs similar to the EB, but I think they're still a bit wider.
The '78/'79's used a 3" wide version. Your '76's may be 2.5" wide? Not sure.

Paul

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
The front coils can be used, might have to do some "persuading" on the coil cups so they fit nicely. I speak from experience here, though, in that you most likely won't like the ride. I did stock height F150 big-block coils on my '75 back in the day and had the rears re-arched & add-a-leaf'd to level it out. Ended up with something like 3" of lift but it was STIFF. Rode like a wagon.

OP
OP
basher13

basher13

Loc.
East of Renton
Yeah so found out they are 6" springs!!! Gonna put them on this weekend just for fun. Anybody need Deaver springs for a F150?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sure someone will know, based on the measurement, but generally speaking the full-size trucks will get between 2 and 3 inches LESS lift than the same spring on an Early Bronco. Probably closer to 2 inches, but depends on the spring rate too. Softer springs, or variable rates, would probably not get as much as a stiffy.
So my guess would be that if those were, say, 5.5" lift springs for an EB, then you might just get that 2 to 3 you're looking for. If they're 3.5" or less, well, not so much.
Generally speaking of course.

Paul

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I've got a set of 4" superflex (deavers) from a '78 bronco that I'll eventually throw into my EB... Hoping that they come out around 5.5" lift.

For the sake of comparison, the EB superflex springs are 190 lb/in, the FS superflexes that I have are 300 lb/inch, the cheapo superlift EB springs are 415 lb/inch and I've heard rumors that the old rancho POS springs were like 450-475 lb/inch!

I'm expecting a firm, but manageable ride from the FS springs I have.... Especially if I add a few extra parts to the engine bay. If they aren't what I like.... well, they came with my FW axles so I don't have any real money invested in them anyway.