• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New exhaust

6daze

Well I finally got the ZF/Atlas together and a rear driveshaft made. I also put on some shorty JBA headers. I probably could have got away with the old K Bar S long tubes but it was time for something new...

So time for the exhaust shop. I went to a well known shop in San Diego and told them essentially what I wanted. I told them to keep it quiet and up high.

I am not so happy with what I ended up with. The oil drain I can probably live with, my next pan will drain straight down but the tail pipe is not ok. I let the guys know and they promised to fix it.

My goal is to have the tail pipe as high as reasonably possible. I bobbed those corners for a reason. I set the factory bumper up there for the pic but will end up with a protofab plate back there.

Anybody have a protofab rear? Any pics of your tailpipe? ideas?

What do you guys think about the oil drain? Live with it or have them fix it?

The good news...that Magnaflow sounds great!

Last edited:
OP
OP
6daze

6daze

pics.....

Attachments

• drain pan clearance.JPG
    drain pan clearance.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 146
  • drain pan clearance 2.JPG
    drain pan clearance 2.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Exhaust drivers.JPG
    Exhaust drivers.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 154
  • muffler.JPG
    muffler.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 134
  • tail pipe.JPG
    tail pipe.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 147

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm with you on the tailpipe issue. It would be perfect if you still had your full corners but it's WAY too low with your cuts.
To be fair, it's a hard vehicle to run a clean tailpipe out of that corner up high. But it's certainly do'able with an extra couple of bends.

On the drain plug. Not so sure. I don't have a problem with running it there, but there's only so much room to work with.
I wouldn't worry about a little oil on the pipe. You can easily wipe it off after an oil change. And it looks like there's enough room left to get a wrench on the plug. At least from this angle.

What I would worry about though is the proximity of the pipe to the starter and pan. I'm going to run mine in the same spot, but figured I'd have to wrap it to keep excess heat from the starter and oil pan. Especially the starter.
Yes, exhaust wrap can be a pain, and it will certainly get gummy with each oil change and perhaps create a moisture problem in the long term (not that big a deal in most cases), but worth it to keep the heat down that close to the manifolds.
Farther back you can get away with close proximity to components, but that close to the engine I'd think seriously of wrapping it in heat barrier.

Just some thoughts. Glad it sounds good. Looks pretty good other than the tailpipe.
Good luck.

Paul

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
Looks like it could be a fire hazard to me where the oil pan is. I don't understand why they wrapped it that way. Looks like they could have bypassed that route because what if you hit something 4 wheeling that could dent or crack it open like a rock or something. How much did they charge you?

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Well your "custom" job is ten times better than what I got - I ended up re-doing it all myself. Take it back and have them fix it. Esp. the exit - make use of your bobbed corners!

It is nice and high and tight tho. And at least you can drop the tranny without having to remove the exhaust.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's kind of the key here. Putting it there is really one of the best places to keep it out of your way for most maintenance operations, clearance for the driveshafts and clutch linkage and things like that. As for crush-clearance, it's not so much worse than most other ways around the engine. It used to be unheard of for anyone to get something up that high to crush the exhaust. Nowadays I know people do all sorts of things like that. But if you can crush it there, you can crush it under the tranny adapter or any number of other places. Besides, if you crush it there you might just have crushed your pan too.
I've seen a lot of people route it that way on other vehicles, like Chevy's and Jeeps, over the years with no troubles. But only a few Broncos.

I hear your concern about the fire hazzard buckbronco76, but I don't think it's that much of a concern over other spots. Do you mean by oil dripping on it? You can get oil from just about anywhere under there really. So I'm not sure it's any worse there than somewhere else. IF that's what you meant.
Oil doesn't really burn that readily on an exhaust pipe anyway. Anyone who's tried to light it with a blowtorch (like me;D) can attest to that.
Or did you mean something else?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BTW 6daze, what kind of a tranny is that sitting under there? Was there a bigger clearance issue because of the new transmission and/or transfer case location?

Paul

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Not to hijack but how long of a rear driveline did you end up with? I have a ZF and have thought alot about an atlas or similar but was curious what kind of pinion angle and driveline length I am looking at.

By the way, my exhaust with my ZF is run the exact same way with a magnaflow and I like it, but my wife and daughter say it's too loud. I used 2.5 pipe out the back and likely 2" would have made it a bit quieter which would have been OK too.

Ben

OP
OP
6daze

6daze

Thanks for all of your thoughts, ideas and replys. To be somewhat fair I do not have a front driveshaft installed yet. I told the shop to keep the exhaust nice and high to avoid the front shaft while articulating.

It is a ZF trans.

The shop has an excellent reputation (custom hot rods)so I am not too worried about heat transfer issue. I figure they know what they are doing in that respect. It is a good point and I will bring that up when I go back, if nothing else to pick their brains about it.

I paid way too much;D

Bigmuddy;
I think the rear shaft was around 25". It is an Atlas II. I can get a better measurement tomorrow. I am still working with the driveline angle. My rear is sagging:eek: and am not ready to spend the bucks on new springs just yet. So I can't really set the pinion angle without being at the correct ride height. From my measurements so far, I need the 4 degree shim. So all things being equal, when I do lift the rear, I think I will need a 6 degree shim. Still working on it though. All your Explorer stuff working? I have learned a lot from your posts, thanks. I have all that stuff in my garage waiting for paint and install

So what do we think of this pic? Dump the exhaust out back or in the bobbed corner, just in front of the bumper?
Mark

Attachments

• EBPlateRB04.jpg
    EBPlateRB04.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 85

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The shop has an excellent reputation (custom hot rods)so I am not too worried about heat transfer issue. I figure they know what they are doing in that respect.

Never assume they have your best interest in mind when "doing what you tell them to do". Hah! You may have said to give it clearance and they figured that YOU knew what you were doing and so weren't worried about heat. Since YOU knew what to do about it.
Just kidding. But only a tiny bit.
Besides, unless you know them well you might be hearing the good reputation stories about one guy, but the "other" guy installed your system.
Seen it happen.
I still say too that you will have some heat issues that you need to address. Not life-threatening to be sure, but something you should handle anyway. Like with heat wrap around the pipes where they pass super close to oil pans and gear boxes and starters.

So what do we think of this pic? Dump the exhaust out back or in the bobbed corner, just in front of the bumper?
Mark

Either way can get caught by a rock or two, but the under-the-bumper exit is going to get smushed but good the first time you come off a rock ledge in the mountains.
Hey! I know... Get a big hole-saw and exit it THROUGH the bumper or body! Yeah, that's it!
I know... I'm not helping things.

Paul

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Thats how I ran mine and it works fine just be sure to use a dump and not straight out to avoid the fumes

Attachments

• Exit2.jpg
    Exit2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 53
  • exit1.jpg
    exit1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
6daze

6daze

TJK74,
I have seen your pics and am tempted...Is your tailpipe even with the tank? So you would hit the tank before the tailpipe? I would love to see a pic just from the side. I can't get the perspective from your pics (being at an angle). Any dust problems with the turndown?

Dirtdonk,
Heat is a valid point and something I have never dealt with before. I will bring this up to the shop. Thank you.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I did my own exhaust out of SS mandrel bends taking a route very similar to what they did for you. I left more clearance (3/4-1") between the pan and the bellhousing to account for "shifts" and such under torque. So far I have not noticed heat problems, but its just a garage runner at this point. I also did not hug the tranny near as much as they did. So far, I have a straight pipe out the back like TJK74's. I need to add the downturn...I am waiting to see if its necessary after its on the road for a little while. If it were me, I would want a little more clearance to the oil pan and bellhousing than what it looks like you have...albeit I have a slightly different configuration underneath than you do...Explorer cast aluminum pan, stock Bronco bellhousing and NV4500...but I dont think that changes things too much.

I too have yet to obtain and install a front driveshaft for this incarnation, but it looks liek everything will clear fine...unless my oilpan and differntial kiss really hard...then a crinked exhaust tube is the least of my problems.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
TJK74,
I have seen your pics and am tempted...Is your tailpipe even with the tank? So you would hit the tank before the tailpipe? I would love to see a pic just from the side. I can't get the perspective from your pics (being at an angle). Any dust problems with the turndown?

Dirtdonk,
Heat is a valid point and something I have never dealt with before. I will bring this up to the shop. Thank you.

Yep I have the tail pipe even with the tank and angled at the same angle of the tank to keep it out of harms way. I'll try and get a pics later this after noon

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
6daze, my explorer stuff works great (sitting in the shop) :cool: Actually I drove it some last summer and it worked fine. I have never seen air being pushed out of the engine compartment like the explorer fan does! I can stand back by the windshield and it will blow my hair around.

My exhaust is really similar to yours and the way it comes out is just likeTJK74 but I need to add the turn down. I wanted them to bend it up and around to have it come around under my rear quarter cut outs and was told it wasn't possible with the 2.5 pipe I asked them to use. I think with a turn down or out it will be just fine though. I personally wouldn't worry at all about the heat on the oil pan or tranny, if you are doing regular maintenance it really isn't a concern IMHO.

Ben

OP
OP
6daze

6daze

Here is a pic of how close the tube is to the oil pan. It is bent in a little right where the plug is. There is about 1" between the two.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and ideas. I am going to have the shop move the tailpipe up and close to the body. I will also interrogate those guys on the heat issue.

Mark

Attachments

• drain plug clearance.JPG
    drain plug clearance.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 38

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at that angle I don't think heat's going to be a big issue. Maybe a bit on a long uphill haul, or a high-rpm racing session (not that you'd do that of course?) but otherwise, you should be good.
I'm still an overkill kind of guy though. I'm going to coat and wrap mine.

Paul

OP
OP
6daze

6daze

Well I finally got the Bronco back into the exhaust shop...

It was just too low for my taste. They moved it around the shackle and angled it up to the quarter panel.

I am a little concerned about that angle at the end (water) but the techs were confident it would hold up. I will bring it back if it doesnt.

The other issue I had was with the oil pan drain. I had a leak in the pain so I pulled it to fix it. While it was off I filled the existing stripped drain and put a new drain in.

They also welded in some 02 bungs for the future EFI conversion.

Overall I am happy, all the above was done no charge. Yes, it should have been right the first time, but they made it right for me. If you need a exhaust in San Diego, pm me for a referral.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC00994.JPG
    DSC00994.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00995.JPG
    DSC00995.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00996.JPG
    DSC00996.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 24

Action

exhaust

I have a pic I really like but don't seem to post a pic.
Jack