• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what f-n motor is in my bronco

sean lalley

Loc.
biloxi
i need help i have a 67 bronco that came factory with 170 (look out) 6 cyl
before i got it someone put a ford v8 in it
i need to know if there is any way of finding out what motor is in it 302 289 what ever
i am trying to put power steering bracket on it and can not find good fit
so i need a power steering bracket for a ford ???????:?
please let me know if there are numbers that can cross ref on net or any way to idetify what i have
thanks

MADHATTER

Doesnt matter if it is 289 or 302. Make sure its no 351 W. The have 1" height from the timing cover to where the cyliner head meets the block.

Confirm you have a Bronco water pump. The lower radiator house should connect to the passenger side of the truck.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have pictures? That can help.
Are you familiar enough with Ford engines to know what family it's from just by looking? If not we can run you through it.
I'm sure one of the experts will chime in though with where to look for casting numbers. I think there are some on the block edge near the starter, but it's been a long time since I needed to look.

Good luck. I'm sure someone will be able to help you track it down.

Paul

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Even with all ford parts there can be differences in castings of blocks and heads, so just because a Power Steering Pump Bracket fits one 302, it may not fit another (I discovered the hardway), IE i had to machine some spacers to get a 77 302 PS Pump Bracket on my 71 302. My Guess is that you probably ahve a 302, maybe 289, but 302's are more common. I doubt you have a 351, but that would be nice. Post up some pics and a few of us can probably look at it and tell you. Or email them to me. gwoods71@gmail.com

Grant

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sean,
I posted this a few months ago for another Bronco brother...

If you have not located the casting numbers yet, look for them on the right rear of the block above the starter mount.
They should look something like D4AE-6015-AA-10

The numbers break down as follows:

First position is the decade...
C= 1960-69
D= 1970-79
E= 1980-89
F= 1990-99

The second position is the year of the decade. The number above would be from 1974.

If you have a 289 the first two positions of the casting number will be C3, C4, C5, or C6. All of the 302’s built prior to 1981 begin with C8, C9, or the first digit is a D

The rest of the letters and numbers are engineering or service numbers.

You can go further and figure out the assembly date by looking at a small pad directly in front of the left head. It may (if the deck has not been milled) show a machinist stamp with a four digit code such as 4A26. Using the same casting number from above breaks down to 1974, January, 26th.

Hope this helps,
Senior Chief

By the way, the Ford books written by George Ried are excellent for engine reference and performance tips, I recommend them.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
All the brackets will fit but only if they are matched to the the correct water pump, pulleys and balancer. The block and heads are all the same and the 351W uses small brackets to adapter the older stuff like the alt and so on. The later serp. set up bracket fits both the 302 and 351W. I hope I didn't muddy up the water to bad.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Or, is the t-stat housing on the intake manifold and pointing forward? Or pointing up?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p On a old motor that you know nothing about the only to tell the difference is to look at the crank. The crank will have a # on it M-1 is a 289 and a M-2 is a 302 the block can be any 65 up good luck and have fun.:D :D :D Bill :p %) ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like your standard garden variety 289/302. Holley 2bbl carb and Edelbrock (obviously) valve covers.
So any bracket for a 289 or 302 should theoretically "fit" the engine.
The problem still lies with not knowing what the engine came out of originally. So I'm guessing you could still run into the issue of whether the pump pulley will line up with the rest.
Assuming that the engine did NOT come from a later Bronco, you might still have to dig around to find different pulleys for the other compnoents to match up to whatever pump/bracket assembly you get.
I'm sure the Bronco vendors probably have a kit for mounting a pump on a Bronco engine, but you could still run into trouble with alignment since Bronco pulleys and Mutsang pulleys and others, don't always match, depth-wise.
You might end up doing what Grant71 did and modify/make spacers.

Good luck.

Paul

Bronk

Loc.
Somewhere in Sask.
Definately a small block ford did you look on the intake it will usally tell you if it is a 289 or a 302 ANNNdD the casting numbers so you can break them down too find out the year and so on even the firing order :p