• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cheapest way to upgrade alternator.

ryan_289

Loc.
Russellville, AR
Just put speakers and an amp in my Bronco and am about to put extra lights and a winch on it as well. I dont figure the stock alternator is going to cut it. What is the cheapest way to upgrade?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Phone or contact RRRRAAAYYY222 on this board is the best and probably the economical way for doing this. Cheapest is NOT the best in this case. Talk tothe man Raymond, he needs a little guidance here.
TOFIC

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The cheapest way, is to go to a salvage yard and find a 3G from a mustang/ taurus/minivan. Somewhere on the net is a list of the different 3G alternators and what they came on, obviosly the taurus etc would be cheaper than the mustang alt even though they are the same. I used to buy these at a local yard in SC for 25 bucks a peice. If you buy a reman from the auto store, look at paying a 150 on up plus a 75.00 core charge. If you do the 3G you will want to upgrade the charge wire and possibly add a 175amp circuit breaker as well as no longer running that much power back through the stock amp gauge. Very worthwhile upgrade though.

Ben

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'd vote for a 3G upgrade. As close to a bolt-in as it gets, and relatively simple wiring changes. Remember that with whatever upgraded alternator you decide on, you will loose the function of the stock Ammeter.

If you decide on a used 3G, take the time to remove and inspect the brushes. Uneven wear between the brushes is an indication of a worn slip ring. Pass on that one, and keep looking.

OP
OP
ryan_289

ryan_289

Loc.
Russellville, AR
Is there a write up on the 3G upgrade? I dont mind if the stock ammeter works or not. I dont think it is working now.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Is there a write up on the 3G upgrade? I dont mind if the stock ammeter works or not. I dont think it is working now.
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=75
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/public/alternator/3G-ALT_wiring.gif
The green w/red stripe wire will come from the stock voltage regulator, which you will remove. On advice from RRRAAAYYY2, I did not install the Mega-Fuse. I did buy Ryans (fordfuelinjection.com) 3G harness.

Also, be aware that there are "large case" 3Gs and "small case" 3Gs. I just noticed, in Ryans install writeup, that there are pictures of both the large case and small case 3Gs. Poke around Ryans site for lots of information on replacement alternators.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
70steve, curious as to why Rayyyyyyy said not fuse or breaker? I would love get rid of the mega fuse under my hood. Give me a good reason to remove it please!

Ben

cootvon

Loc.
Little Rock, AR
listening..... i'm about to upgrade mine as well. i'll see which way ryan goes
and let him work out the kinks before i try ;D

jeff

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
If you guys want inexpensive, half decent 3G's I have some for like $120 dollars, 160amps. They are not my own production though. I have a simple HD with avalanche diodes and around 180amps, and bigger rear bearings for $180. Both include the wiring plugs.