• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed clutch is stiff. Why? Its a Leg killer

40cent

Loc.
Marysville, WA
I have a 67' with a 3 speed. Ever since Ive owned it the clutch peddle has been a little stiff. I mainly drove it on the streets so I thought I would just deal with it. Now, I am in the process of making it a wheelin rig and I think my leg will be dead by the end of my first wheelin trip. Is there anyway to loosin it up so it doesnt take as much pressure to push the peddle in?

My buddy seams to think its a centerforce clutch but I dont know. Forum search tells me centerforce clutches are pretty good.

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
The first thnig I would do is determine if it's the clutch pressure plate that's stiff or the linkage. Disconnect the linkage at the throwout bearing arm and see if there is anything binding. If this is ok you may just have a stiff pressure plate. Some pressure plates use 3 "fingers" to release the clutch and some use a diaphragm. It's been my experience that the diaphragm are easier on the foot. I presently have a Centerforce clutch (diaphragm) and IMO it's very easy to push in.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you are comparing this to a modern car, the mechanical linkage clutch on our Broncos is much more stiff than the hydraulic clutch found on most modern cars. As byson mentioned, if you have a pressure plate with three fingers, it is going to me much more stiff that a diaphragm style.

OP
OP
40cent

40cent

Loc.
Marysville, WA
Sounds like I need to either quit being a wimp about it or change it to a diaphram style. My next thought is if I have to pull the tranny I am thinkin about changing my tranny/t-case combo to get a better crawl ratio.

pblackb592

If the pressure plate is the old style 3 finger then its gonna be stiff. If its the newer style diaphragm with many fingers it is not as stiff. But there is a big difference between the two.