• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

“some” cutting and welding required

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
The one I put together wasnt all that bad really. you will have to notch a few pieces and cut a few inches off.

vertex

Loc.
Oregon City
That is the cage that I got but I bought it from All 4 Fun (bronco bob). If I was going to do it again I would pay the extra money and have All 4 Fun tack it all together and mark it on their fixture then break it down for shipping. I had some issues with mine but it wasn't bad. You will have to fish mouth a few of the tubes and cut some of the tubes to the correct height. I submitted a picture of my modified All 4 Fun kit to my Gallery, the picture should show up soon.

Keep your eyes open for the cage kit on eBay. I bought mine off eBay and got it for significantly cheaper than their prices on the site.

http://www.broncobob.com/

302fix

how much cutting and welding is required ...

First: Nice avatar.

Second: Looks like a nice cage. I've bought several things from Tom's and if you have ANY questions you should give them a call. They are very helpfull.

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
I JUST installed the cage 3 weeks ago. It is a little challenging. On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate it as a 6. Tom's was extremely helpful though. The welding was easy, but fishmouthing the appropriate end sizes was a bit tricky. That's because I didn't have a Drill press strong enough to cut through the pipe. I just used a trick where I traced a perfect fishmouth onto a piece of paper and used it as a jig. There is a video on you tube explaining the process. Or you can Take it to a machine shop, they'll charge you about $5 for a minute on their hydraulic notcher. I just used an angle grinder.

Here are some pictures. Email me if you want the directions.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
davebonnie

davebonnie

Loc.
Spring Hill, FL
Thank you all for your in put it is greatly appreciated.

Spatacuulous when you say fishmounting what are you referring to.

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
Imagine what a Bass's mouth looks like when it's open. Then apply that shape to the end of a metal tube so that it seats perfectly on the surface of another tube. Like say, at an intersection of the piping in the roll cage.

OP
OP
davebonnie

davebonnie

Loc.
Spring Hill, FL
Very cool, Thank you.

The link is very helpful

Were you able to fasten the cage to the frame with any type of supports?

spatacuulous

Loc.
philadelphia
The mounting plates are one of the only spots that require a straight cut. As far as tying the cage to the frame? Didn't do it. Just mirrored the steel underneath the tub where the feet rest. There are 6 points where they land in the tub, so I feel safe in there.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
you may end up adjusting the height on all the vertical tubes (connected to the body) especially if you're running a hard top, and the front tubes where they connect to the 1st hoop (nearest to the door) needs cutting/notching.

I've seen a rolled EB without frame tie-ins - protected the passengers - buckled the tub. If you plan on wheelin - I'd go with the tie-ins and consider adding floor tubes to attach your seats to.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Dave - you know Chris from springhill running the EB on it is either 40 or 44's? I will have to get your info so we can have a tampa bay get together.

OP
OP
davebonnie

davebonnie

Loc.
Spring Hill, FL
I don’t know Chris but, I have seen him. He only lives a few blocks down the street from me. As for getting together sounds cool, but my bronco is in several parts right now.
It was running well when I decided to tear it down.

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Maybe it's me, but cages should take some question... I was all set to get a cage from a vendor here. Good quality and lots of happy customers. Discussing it with another friend, I realized a major problem. Not all bodies/frames are the same. So I drove my truck 3hrs away for a cage and some other things, but the custom 6pt cage cost me 850 tied to my frame. My builder told me when building that one side of the body was 1/2in lower. Now had I had that cage come from the reputable builder, I'd have had a great cage, and a 1/2in plate filler.. Not what I want for what my life may rely on.

This just came up b/c of work required on a cage. We have great vendors here with cages. Just remember, our trucks are old and sometimes custom is completely worth it, to fit that cage to the truck.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
davebonnie, can I get a full size version of your avatar? :eek:

I agree with RFR2212, the best cage is one made custom for you and your truck. But not everyone has access to the tools or a nearby fab shop, or the money it might cost. The pre-fabbed and DIY cages can be an OK alternative if put together right. With the DIY cages there usually is some room to compensate for the specific misalignments and variances that may occur in any specific Bronco. Many people have access to welding and grinding/notching equipment, but the bender is out of their reach so the DIY cage that's basically just the pre-bent tubing can be a good way to go for someone willing to spend the time to put it together.

That said, I've never been a fan of that particular cage design. You see lots of them out there though so I must be in the minority.

Dusty

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
I agree with RFR2212, the best cage is one made custom for you and your truck. But not everyone has access to the tools or a nearby fab shop, or the money it might cost.

The shop I used was 3hrs each way that I had to haul my junk to. Well worth it. I can only imagine if my cage went into someone elses truck, how far off it'd be.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
how many pieces needed to be notched and cut and which ones fortunately I have a small machine shop at my disposal with a drill press.