• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Alternator Wiring Help!!!!

71biff

Had a bad alternator took it down got a new 1g alternator, and instead of 3 posts like on the origional alternator, the new alternator has 5 posts. While wiring it I must not have hooked it up right because after driving around for 20 min I turned it off and then tried to turn it back on and it was still dead.
After many failed attempts to get the wires on the right posts, I ran a wire directly from the + terminal on the battery to the battery post on the alternator, then hooked up the ground, flow, and the third wire. After driving this time the battery had a charge and I thought I had it fixed. The next morning I went to start it and it was dead again. Is running a wire directly to the alternator from the battery creating a pull and draining the battery? Help I am stuck.