• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

It Runs.......LIKE CRAP!!!!!

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Nice day today, so I figured I'd get the beast out for a ride......went well at first and went down hill from there.

I noticed when I got into the throttle it run rough, fine on the low end so I put a few gallons of fresh gas and noticed it started running rough at all rpms and the more I drove the worse it was???

The more gas I gave it the more it wanted to stall out. I barely made it up the driveway from the lack of power!!!

What do you think???!!!

BTW - It's been jumped several times due to a bad battery which I will replace soon and it did seem to do this one time at idle in the driveway - don't know if that means anything????

Thanks,

Mike

grant_71

Bronco Guru
If the battery is REALLY dead it can do that, but sounds like you got varnish build up in the carb, OR the fuel pump diaphram might be going bad.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I thought the battery just gets it going and the alt. keeps it going?? The reason why I say it is the battery is REALLY DEAD!!

What would I do about the Varnish and would that get worse as it warms up?

Thanks for the help!

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
How long has the truck been sitting up? Check to see if there is moisture under your distributor cap or look for a hairline crack in it.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Booray - thanks

It's been sitting for the winter (road queen w/out a roof) in a heated garage so I don't think it'll have moisture, but I'll check.

I'll get a battery and I'm thinking I'll replace the fuel filter? Fuel line is fine, I checked it all the way back.

Would the fuel filter make sense if it ran like crap when it warmed up?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Time to trade it in, yellow for yellow? ;D really tough, did you ever get the ignition straightened out? Start with a good batteyr, check the afore mentioned cap and all the easy stuff first. If not, call me at work and we'll go from there tomorrow. Good to see your still with us!

70_Steve

Old Guy
Kinda does sound fuel related. I looked in your gallery and it looks like you're running a Holly carb. Let it idle, and check the float bowl level. Then run it till it starts crapping out, shut it right down, and check the float bowl level again. If the levels down, there's a problem getting fuel to the carb. Check fuel filters, fuel pump, lines, etc.

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
I had the same problems, some time back near the dawn of time, and it turned out, as several others have pointed out, to be the float in the carb bowl had a crack in it. After it sits in fuel and fills up it creates havoc. Good luck.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
Tasker if yours doesn't get swallowed by all the snow.....your on!

70 Steve - it's a holley 4150 or 4160 I don't remember which??

I just remembered about a month ago I went to start it and it was completly out of fuel - plenty in the tank but nothing in the carb. I poured a little in the carb and it fired right up. Seems like I've had this since then.

Think it's related?

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just throwing this out there , timing/vacuum advance issues ? Other vacuum leak ? Otherwise I'd lean towards fuel issues also.

OP
OP
KANE

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
It runs like a champ again! Amazing how a $3.00 can of carb cleaner could make my day! The carb must have had some varnishing.
Also through another Optoma battery in it as well. Ready for spring!!!

Thanks for the help!!

Mike

70 sport WA

It runs like a champ again! Amazing how a $3.00 can of carb cleaner could make my day! The carb must have had some varnishing.
Also through another Optoma battery in it as well. Ready for spring!!!

Thanks for the help!!

Mike

Yeah, but there's still another problem: was it the $3 can of cleaner OR the $115 battery that fixed your problem? :)