• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

grounding problem

duganfife

guys sometimes when I hit a bump going down the road my 74 will imediately cut the engine off? could it be a grounding issue?

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
guys sometimes when I hit a bump going down the road my 74 will imediately cut the engine off? could it be a grounding issue?

I had the same problem a while ago. What distributor are you running?

I have a Pertronix and one little screw was loose inside the distributor. I think it was a ground bolt.

Matt

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Check the starter solenoid to body connection. The stock setup is just large sheet metal screws, which can loosen or rust.

Get some of the wide braided ground cables and go battery to body, body to engine and body to frame.

70_Steve

Old Guy
A good grounding scheme will have the negative battery cable bolted to the engine block. The largest current draw in your Bronco, besides possibly a winch, is the starter. The starter grounds internally to the engine block, so the main ground tie-point should be the block.

From the block, run grounds to the body and to the frame. I have a small braided ground strap (from the Help section of the local auto parts store) run from the rear of the intake manifold to the firewall. I also have a larger braided strap run from the same bolt where my battery cable mounts, to the frame.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When it does that it's equally possible to be either a ground OR a positive problem.
Check the connections at the coil and, as mkaenel said, your distributor. And everywhere in between. There are a lot of possible scenarios here.

What year is your Bronco? What ignition system? Anything else swapped out? Old wiring or new?
That info would help too.

Good luck.

Paul