• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A tech tip - Learn from my mistake

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I had run my battery without a battery tray for quite a while. I used a ratchet strap to hold it down. Well one day my ratchet strap failed me, time to get a real battery tray with metal hold down.

When I put the bar across the top of the battery to hold it down, I used locktight on the nuts holding the battery strap down. Ya know - don't want the nuts coming loose and the battery moving around. Now I need to remove the battery....no can do. The dang nuts are locked on, duh - locktight.

I had to get the dremel out with the cut off wheel and cut the battery box edge so I could slip the metal 'J' hook out. THen I was able to remove battery and also battery tray. Time to weld the tray back together.

Here is the what not to do part.....do not use locktight on battery strap hold down nuts.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
That is not good. Glad it is all in the process of working out though.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Nylocks are designed to only be used once, keep the thought in mind after removal.

I've never had one fail to lock after using it multiple times......
While they do lock less the more you use them, you just have to judge for yourself if the torque required for installation is enough to keep them on for that application.

Last edited:

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I did say designed...I agree to use them until they simply spin on loose. I check stuff enough, or should I say I remove my stuff due to breakage or whatever enough to keep an eye on loose nuts. However, I do know that the second time I use one it is easier to tighten down.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I've never had one fail to lock after using it multiple times......
While they to lock less the more you use them, you just have to judge for yourself if the torque required for installation is enough to keep them on for that application.

I have on a stupid chebby rocker arm nuts kept backing off after rebuilding the engine and breaking the rockers

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I have on a stupid chebby rocker arm nuts kept backing off after rebuilding the engine and breaking the rockers

I hope they aren't nylocks, Temp would be a problem for locking nuts with nylon inserts.
Do you mean the locking nuts that are "crimped" slightly to make a slight interference fit on the male thread?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I hope they aren't nylocks, Temp would be a problem for locking nuts with nylon inserts.
Do you mean the locking nuts that are "crimped" slightly to make a slight interference fit on the male thread?

That might had been them, I ended up replacing all them. Hated that damn truck, new motor rv cam 600 carb and still would not pass a semi on a hill, i think it was because of the full time 4x4 though, but it was a very slick truck step side 78.

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Brian, Why did you cut the tray instead of the nut?

the hole in the tray where the 'J' hook goes was a lot thinner than the nut. Plus this way I don't have to worry about screwing up the 'J' hook, either the thread or the length.