• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Bronco Steering box q's

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
How far forward did you have to push your box? If anyone can come up with a side picture of your box and steering links this would be greatly appreciated...Need pics taken from the drivers side looking directly towards passenger side. Hope you guy understand what I am needing.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Mine stayed in the stock location.

Attachments

• 5 Motor Steering Crossmember (1015).jpg
    5 Motor Steering Crossmember (1015).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 7 5282007 (1003).jpg
    7 5282007 (1003).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 8 06032007 (15).jpg
    8 06032007 (15).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 41

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine stayed in the same place too. It uses the single front hole and you drill 2 new rear holes (easy now:eek: :eek: ). I dont think the sector shaft position changes at all. It is a bit bigger on top of the frame and I had to trim my lower steering shaft.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I sell a frame reinforcement kit but you can make one. You can see it on my site. The plate is simple and has 5 holes in it. The front hole is the same for both the stock box and the BB/f-150 box. The next two holes back are for the stock box. The rear two holes are for the BB/f-150 box.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I can't put mine in the stock location as I have moved the front axle 3 inches or so forward.

Hahahha, just put it the same distance from the coil buckets as it was before. I'd do a full box on that frame up there since you will be so far forward.

I used Chucks plate when I did my conversion, worked perfect.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can't put mine in the stock location as I have moved the front axle 3 inches or so forward.

If that is the case..then why can't you use the 4x4 box as it comes and mount in stock location..with the pitman arm facing forward?

OP
OP
PsYcHoBrOnCo

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
Here is what I got....I'm running out of real estate up front.

F250shockmounts.jpg

010.jpg

OP
OP
PsYcHoBrOnCo

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
Looks like I will have to do the Worm gear swap to make it work for me? Is the Idea to try and Line up the tie rod with the drag link (up and down), Like if you are looking straight down on it.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
If that is the case..then why can't you use the 4x4 box as it comes and mount in stock location..with the pitman arm facing forward?

Your axle would have to be twice the length of the pitman forward for this to work.

Here's an example of what I'm describing:
If you have a 6" pitman (from center of box index to center of TRE), your axle would need to be ~12" forward for this to work.

Rob - cut the body mount, and order in one of Chuck's kits. You'll be time and money ahead.

You were planning to tube the front anyhow (weren't you?)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Looks like I will have to do the Worm gear swap to make it work for me? Is the Idea to try and Line up the tie rod with the drag link (up and down), Like if you are looking straight down on it.

Not necessarily.

It depends on your steering setup.

We'll sit down, and talk about this whenever you're ready. It's been too long since I've seen ya anyhow...

OP
OP
PsYcHoBrOnCo

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
Your axle would have to be twice the length of the pitman forward for this to work.

If you have a 6" pitman (from center of box index to center of TRE), your axle would need to be ~12" forward for this to work.

Rob - cut the body mount, and order in one of Chuck's kits. You'll be time and money ahead.

You were planning to tube the front anyhow (weren't you?)

10-4 on the tube front. I'm at that point that I can't throw a bunch of money at it other then what is needed to get on the trail ASAP, with that said-----send me a link to the kit you are talking about, so that I can have a look see. plz.

OP
OP
PsYcHoBrOnCo

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
I need something that is going to work for a season, so that I can gather the things needed for full hydro. I just want to see the trail, other then from the lady's side. No offense to the Lady's.;)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

?)

That is true if you are worried about having the tie rod exactly parallel with the axle in the horizontal plane. Since being off angle in that plane does not contribute to bump steer..I have found that to be no big deal if it is not, even when it is WAY not, like one of mine.;D . My '72 MX racer has a normal-rotation 4x4 F-150 box (makes keeping spares easier..they take a thrashing) and stock axle location. On that, the box is moved back about 4" from the stock location and the pitman arm faces forward, of course, and the tie rod is no where near parallel to the axle in hoizontal plane,,is parallel to track bar in vertical plane ...but it works fine.

OP
OP
PsYcHoBrOnCo

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
That is true if you are worried about having the tie rod exactly parallel with the axle in the horizontal plane. Since being off angle in that plane does not contribute to bump steer..I have found that to be no big deal if it is not, even when it is WAY not, like one of mine.;D . My '72 MX racer has a normal-rotation 4x4 F-150 box (makes keeping spares easier..they take a thrashing) and stock axle location. On that, the box is moved back about 4" from the stock location and the pitman arm faces forward, of course, and the tie rod is no where near parallel to the axle in hoizontal plane,,is parallel to track bar in vertical plane ...but it works fine.
Curious to see a picture of how off yours is?:)