• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

E-Brake Placement?

avijay

The PO had put the roll cage in and the e-brake pedal is hiding behind the roll bar and I was wondering how I can go about making the e-brake more functional, any suggestions/relocation would be great, thanks.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
if you unbolt the bolt that attaches it to the underside of the dash, you can bend it over a bit to the passenger side. drill a new hole and bolt a self tapping bolt into the hole. watch out for any wiring that may be sitting in the c channel of the lower lip of the dash. the other option is a floor mounted e-brake that would mount in between the seats. you'd have to scrounge the junkyard for a good fit and figure out all the brackets/cable mounting/routing.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
if you unbolt the bolt that attaches it to the underside of the dash, you can bend it over a bit to the passenger side. drill a new hole and bolt a self tapping bolt into the hole. watch out for any wiring that may be sitting in the c channel of the lower lip of the dash. the other option is a floor mounted e-brake that would mount in between the seats. you'd have to scrounge the junkyard for a good fit and figure out all the brackets/cable mounting/routing.

The simplist solution I know of as well.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
e brake

I mounted an old under the dash hand lever from an old Ford truck I bought on ebay for $5. Pulls out with your left hand under the steering wheel.

Sorrry I didn't really have a good picture of it from the drivers side.

It is obviously more work but it gets the hting out from under your feet and gives you a lot more leg room.

Last edited:

dieselracer

Loc.
Citrus Heights, CA
I want to completely remove the stock e-brake and build a transfer case e-brake with a center console pull handle like most new cars have. I figure that something like a Toyota suv would be a good donor, well any newer suv.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I want to completely remove the stock e-brake and build a transfer case e-brake with a center console pull handle like most new cars have. I figure that something like a Toyota suv would be a good donor, well any newer suv.

Before you go too crazy about the transfer case park brake idea, crawl under the truck and look at the room you have. Without a body lift there is bearly enough room to get your fingers between the floor and the output yoke. A brake rotor requires enough room to actually mount and clear a rotor. There have been a few that have done it, but it is not common nor easy to do. Then there is the need at all the other mods needed.

After years of thining about it, I am just going to fix the drum brakes and put on new cables and make the original parking brakes work again. But they will be applied with a hand lever, one I got of a Sami.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont

that works great till you pop a rear driveshaft on a hill and need an e-brake%)